Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Olympic Protest?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonathanL
Certified Gun Nut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it difficult to get my head round precisely what non-shooters know about what firearms are allowed to be owned by whom and under what circumstances. Whenever people have enquired about club membership with various clubs I've been a member of the question of pistols invariably comes up and most people genuinely don't seem to know if you can own them, some think they have to be kept at clubs or whatever.

My personal opinion is that the public really don't care too much what people are allowed to own and that it doesn't really shape the way they vote too much. Nor do they care much about finding out what the issues involved are. Money being taken out of their pockets is massively more important to the vast majority of people than anything else.

What matters is whether politicians can make political mileage out of it. The probem with every gun ban we've ever had is that it's always been the case that politicians may as well vote for a ban because it isn't costing them anything and is an opportunity to ride the opportunist bandwagon. If it were the case that their seat (or their party) would be affected by voting for a ban then they won't do it. This has been proved perfectly by the Cumbria thing. No one is seriously suggesting a ban on DB shotguns because the adverse political fall-out will be too great. The reason it will be too great is that there are lots and lots of people who own shotguns. In addition, a lot of the people who do are the "right" sort of people, if you know what I mean.

J.
Bonzomatic

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see from the SAGBNI web site theyare calling for a protest march and non co-operation and/or assistance from shooters during the Olympic shooting events.. at Woolwich.

No longer a member of SAGBNI, but I will support pistol/shooting sports in general... and ANY LEGAL FORM OF PROTEST...does any one have any details yet??
Carrot Cruncher

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've been saying that for the last two or more years.
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.build.co.uk/construction_news.asp?newsid=126480&em=1

In the current economic climate this is just an outrageous waste of money.

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
Rob

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always was a sickening waste of money, ensuring no legacy at all. The shooting sports are a dirty secret, to be erased as soon as the Games are over. What else can you expect with a posturing sh!t like Coe in charge?
Alex Hamilton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a petition has more than 100,000 signatures, the MPs will be forced to debate it in Parliament is the latest development. It is unlikely though that we could muster more than a few thousand signatures, so this is only theoretical for us.

I agree that the Olympics is an outragous waste of public money in any economic climate. The ISSF in particular is supporting only the ISSF style of shooting and I would not support them if that was all of shooting that was available.

SAGBI is a spent force, but I would support their call for not offering to help Olympics in any way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Target Shooting All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: