Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OK, so I want a couple of pistols ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
craggy_steve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: OK, so I want a couple of pistols ... Reply with quote

Thinking about taking up pistol shooting again, it's legal where I live (Isle of Man).

Not too seriously, don't want to spend a fortune, probably a 9mm and a .22, both for multiple purpose (multiple competition formats) as a social shooter.

Suggestions please - what would I buy. Used to love the Browning 9mm but that's a bit old, I'm sure there are better general purpose centre-fire pistols. Maybe the 92FS or the CZ75? Other ideas? No clue where to start with a .22.

If you had to advise someone starting out (again) to shoot a range of full-bore and small-bore competition formats (including Practical), what would you suggest?

Apologies to anyone who is insanely jealous Wink

Steve
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont worry due to family connections I'll hopefully in the future be in the Isle of man too Very Happy . for 22 maybe a Ruger like a Mk2 or a Mk3 and for 9mm, either a glock 17 gen 4 or a cz SP01. Those all have many go faster parts and mostly great out the box (especially the cz's). I also doubt you'll stop with too, as those collections have a habit of increasing in size. Have you got a membership with Peveril at all? Stuart Earle the main dealer on the Island should be able to sort you out as well.
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what Stuart Earle has got in stock, doesn't it? Laughing

Describe "fortune", I would go with a SIG-Sauer P226 (there are various target models, depends on what Stuart can get his hands on). For .22, Ruger Mk 3 target or the 22/45 target model.

SIG-Sauer has been banned from exporting for the time being, so it will be whatever is floating around.

Really it boils down to what fits your hand the best and whether you can get someone to give it a trigger job, which is why I suggest the P226 as there isn't much in the way of gunsmithing there and they have decent trigger pulls and sights out-of-the-box. Also they're accurate enough for bullseye and can be used for practical.

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
craggy_steve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta. By a fortune, I guess I don't want to spend more than 750 on each gun if that's realistic. I'm 56, haven't shot pistol for 38 years (shot a lot aged 4 - 18 ) with the exception of a outing to an NI range, starting again now I'm never going to be top notch, I want some sociable fun without embarrassing myself.

I am trained & experienced, in that Dad used to shoot for the Army and compete internationally and started teaching me early, so I have certainly put well over 100,000 rounds through a Browning 9mm and probably more through an assortment of .22s.

Sig 226 and CZ75 had both come to mind. Not sure I've shot the Sig, might have once but if so it didn't gel with me. About 10 years ago I went to NI for a couple of days on a jolly with some other forumites and shot a couple of hundred through a club CZ75 which quite took me aback - very different feel to the Browning but a soft shooting gun which gave me very good groups - club RO was very surprised that I hadn't shot since the 1970's - so I know the CZ75 can work for me. A CZ75 SP01 Shadow / Orange would be good but I suspect out of my price range.

The Ruger Mark III is an obvious choice, not so sure about the 22/45 - does it shoot as well?

Ta, Steve
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try youtube reviews for the 22/45 and something tells me that unless you settle for a glock gen 4 750 might be unrealistic for what you want unless you want to learn to do your own gunsmithing trigger jobs? gundeals ni might be a place to go.

http://gundeal.co.uk

An RFD to RFD transfer from NI to Isle of man should be doable as well if the right paperwork is observed (should be easier than trying uk section 5 dealers).

Found you a sig 226 off the bat

http://gundeal.co.uk/sig-sauer-p226-classic-sport-9mm-.pistol-hand-guns-for-sale-1812

950, don't know what your fees for importation into the isle of man are going to be though.
craggy_steve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I dunno, 750 seems spot on Smile http://www.gundeal.co.uk/cz-sp01-shadow-9mm-.pistol-hand-guns-for-sale-1262 http://www.gundeal.co.uk/cz-sp01-shadow-9mm-.pistol-hand-guns-for-sale-590

Yep, I can probably do my own trigger work when I'm ready, did my own rifles when I lived in the UK and looking at the trigger disassembly for the CZ it's not too tricky. TBH I probably wouldn't touch it for the first year, the gun will be better than me.

Thanks for that, hadn't found that site, very useful.
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just talk to Stuart about import/RFD to RFD transfers.
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very difficult to bring handguns over from GB and Beechwood can't get any stock (or even advertise apparently) so bit of a pointless discussion, you might be able to get something from NI.

But 950 for a used P226 seems very steep. That particular model was made for the German market, basically the only difference is the sights, the Nill grips and a better trigger pull.

I'd ask Stuart what he's got first. I see that dealer in NI has a X-Six for 1,900. Twisted Evil

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Target Shooting All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: