Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Richard Wilson Smith and Wesson LBR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Richard Wilson Smith and Wesson LBR Reply with quote

Good news, don't get your hopes up as yet though. Richard Wilson for people who had pistols back in the day is back and is planning an LBR built on Frames (just frames he will import so there is no legal comback) and him doing the rest of the work (anyone familar will know how good his work was and is).

You can contact him through his website if you want http://wilsoncustomguns.com/index.html. Before anyone says he has the pictures of his past work up for history sake. The LBR is up in a few days or so (when I talked to him). He is working the legal stuff out with smith (the lawyers are holding stuff up, end user and all the guff that goes with it, ahh the age we live in).

Who is interested?
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: He's got a picture up here Reply with quote

Its the one he showed at the Phoenix. http://wilsoncustomguns.com/match-master-lbr.html
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's clever, looks like he's turned down the front half of the barrel and sheathed it in carbon fibre. I think there is an argument that he might as well turn down the whole barrel to reduce the weight a bit more.

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Well Reply with quote

If you read the specs, that is a removable barrel weight (made of Carbon fibre?) and can be unscrewed and firing without it. He states that without it on, it will weigh 1700g vs the 1675g of his six inch barrel matchmasters from back in the day. If Wilson gets it going and makes a good job when its time for me to move to the Isle of Man I'll ask if he can do me a six inch model for there and I'll pick up the tab for section 5 couriers. But its great when you think that it won't weigh that much more than a six incher, with the weigh on, its 1820g. In old money its 4 pound with it on and just over 3 pounds with it off. I'm not sure if the full barrel on a revolver can be tuned down. Are you saying a full carbon fibre barrel for a revolver or something different Steve?

Incidentally I have seen pictures of the Rolf Merkel revolvers (yes I know their legality is questionable, but they exist). And at least one resembled with the barrel weight, the Phoenix prototype of RW. He's doing it right, he actually first mentioned the Merkel Smith's as a reason why he was importing frame kits (to stay legal and him out of jail). But I still think he took some build ideas (another one being thicker barrel at the back and the actual tube jutting out to reduce weight again).

But tell me Steve, what was the full tuning down idea you had in mind and are you going to buy one? I am.
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I mean he could turn down the barrel for the whole length and put a sleeve on it made of carbon fibre, or simply use a smaller diameter barrel.

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: That is what I thought Reply with quote

But I'll leave it up to Richard Wilson as he's the wunder kid of the this all. So how interested are you in one Steve?
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Forgot to mention Reply with quote

For all the PPC shooters out there, some of the frames or at least later batches when I talked to wilson will be K Frame 64's. 38 special only but perfect for that discipline of shooting.
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Forgot to ask one more thing Steve Reply with quote

What is the thinnest barrel diameter wise than can work with 357 and not blow up or anything? I just have images when you said smaller diameter barrel of Taurus's that fail to work for too long or have holes in them where they shouldn't.
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Received an email from Richard Wilson Reply with quote

He says in it that Smith will not send him the frames after all. So he is left with build them from scratch in the uk, which is expensive and he needs a cash injection for it. Get them made in Europe by another copy or import the section 5 smiths, dissemble them and reassemble the parts with longer barrels and a rod. He points the problem with that as being he has only been advice that it is ok to do that from his local police and uk border agency. No its alright from the home office. He said he would only follow that path if he got the ok from the home office so he's not a Anthony Buckland.

So for now anyone wanting an LBR can go with one of the last Taurus, a Alfa, track down a red hawk or that really expensive German thing. Or if you do want a smith, the ballistic arms ones that rude fat dog is importing (don't ask me how he manages it but he does).

Its all a farce.
Alex Hamilton

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure that there is much demand for heavy weight revolvers. They were clumsy to handle in their original form and not of much use for anything other than the 1500. Is anyone going to start making acetylene lamps again! Very Happy Naturally, I wish him every success, but to be fair I think this is an attempt to re-create something that is no longer all that popular. Even the cops have moved on to Glocks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Target Shooting All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: