Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M17 Modular Handgun System

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:24 am    Post subject: M17 Modular Handgun System Reply with quote

I recently got to have a go with one of these, aka SIG-Sauer P320. Now standard issue to the US armed forces.

So basically, very overhyped. I wouldn't go so far as to call it the SA80 of pistols but imo it's an okay design that has been executed in a fairly mediocre way.

Essentially a striker-fired 9mm semi-automatic pistol. It's not "modular" at all because there is only module, the basic pistol. There's a compact version called the M18 but so what? Apparently there are going to be suppressed versions and so on but it doesn't sound very modular to me.

Because it's striker-fired the trigger stacks at the end of the pull which means getting accuracy out of it is quite hard. I managed to keep all my shots on a B-8 target centre at 25 yards with some very careful trigger control but that's not terribly impressive.

It has night sights, but they're a very basic three-dot illumination, nothing special. And an accessory rail. Whoop-te-do. 17-round magazine and the military has 21-round magazines. I didn't like them because the follower has a sharp edge which makes them hard to load.

It also has a loaded chamber indicator, which did actually work, usually the design they're using has problems. Thumb safety, this was added on for the military and gets in the way of the slide release quite badly.

The gun always had failures to eject on the first shot with a fully loaded mag, which indicates the slide is being slowed down by the strength of the magazine spring.

Basically a "lowest bidder" piece of equipment but hey it's "milspec", so I assume everyone who likes it is going to be eating MREs for dinner.

Personally I'd rather be issued a Hi-Power, or a PO8 Luger for that matter. In what way it is better than a Beretta M9A1 I'm hard pressed to say. Night sights and easier to fully disassemble are about it.

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After what you've said Steve I'll likely cross it off my list of potential pistols, might be moving somewhere I can own them in a couple of years or so and I think I'll get the czsp01, norinco np29 single stack 9mm or even the springfield armory xd now......
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had a go with a P320-X5, which was also underwhelming. Trigger pull was only slightly better and accuracy was pretty much the same, which isn't very impressive for a "target pistol".

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Military All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: