Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Last Of 6 Met Officers Found Not Guilty
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Field Sports and Pest Control
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick F wrote:
Crushed by the Govt?

Police Act 1919.

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
BobHarget

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I take it, you don't agree with double jeopardy?

I did not say I objected to people having to stand trial again if there is fresh evidence providing the Police don't moan when they themselves are in the dock.

The Pen - What is mightier that the sword; and considerably easier to write with (Marty Feldman)
Mick F
Certified Gun Nut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cybershooters wrote:
Mick F wrote:
Crushed by the Govt?

Police Act 1919.

I've read the history page and the latest Police Act is 1996 IIRC. Seems to me they got what they wanted, so I'd hardly call it crushed. Just can't go on strike, though it would be something to see if this 'work to rule' actually comes about. That'd be good, just as you're about to break up a fight, the alarm goes on your watch and off back to the station you go. Then again, like many public servants, the Police don't work to rule.
Cheers
Mick Fidgeon:-)
Mick F
Certified Gun Nut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobHarget wrote:
Quote:
I take it, you don't agree with double jeopardy?

I did not say I objected to people having to stand trial again if there is fresh evidence providing the Police don't moan when they themselves are in the dock.

What's good for the goose.... As you say, so long as it fresh evidence and not the rehash which goes on in the media. IIRC, it needs to go before a judicial panel of some sort to approve a double jeopardy trial.
Cheers
Mick Fidgeon:-)
Carrot Cruncher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were two police strikes. The 1918 one was confined to the Met, and the Lloyd George government gave in rapidly. It was mainly about pay. The 1919 one was more widespread, and was particularly tough in Liverpool, where half the force came out. This one was more about disciplinary conditions. There had been a Police Bill in 1913 which addressed many of the concerns, but it didn't get to the statute book before the War put it on hold. Come August 1919 and with the scuffers out Liverpool went into riot mode and the Army were called in. What you might find interesting is that the last person on mainland GB to be lawfully shot dead by a member of the armed forces was a Liverpool looter. The strikers were given an ultimatum; some went back, those that didn't were dismissed wholesale. You could still come across some of the old boys right up to the '60's carrying their NUPPO (National Union of Police and Prison Officers) cards ! So to an extent it was "crushed", but the general fear of insurrection at that time led the government to address the police rank and file concerns, and the Desborough Committee was formed, which led to wholesale reforms, including formation of the Federation.
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What you might find interesting is that the last person on mainland GB to be lawfully shot dead by a member of the armed forces was a Liverpool looter

Interesting, but dare I say not exactly surprising!

Quote:
the general fear of insurrection at that time led the government to address the police rank and file concerns, and the Desborough Committee was formed, which led to wholesale reforms, including formation of the Federation.

And, need one add, the Firearms Act 1920.
Carrot Cruncher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite so, Rob. But the connection is, in point of fact, a tad deeper. Sir Ernley Blackwell (of THE report) was very heavily involved in the 1918 Met strike. EB was Deputy Under-Secretary Home Office at the time of the strike, and had to stand in at a crucial time for the Permanent Secretary, which had a terrific effect on him (EB). In the modern argot we'd say he was "traumatised". It was very shortly after this negative experience that he was appointed to chair the Control of Firearms Committee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Field Sports and Pest Control All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: