Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

malicious complaint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Field Sports and Pest Control
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steven latham

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: malicious complaint Reply with quote

Scene:Legally authorised shooter enters field after tractor tops thistles, shooter then despatches some 80 rabbits, shooter then leaves for home, having seen no one in the vicinity, after some moments at home, shooter answers two arv personnel entering his property, "have you been shooting today?" reply "yes" "in *******?" reply "yes", "we've had a complaint!" reply "oh, what's the matter?", "lock up your dogs & we'll tell you what's happened!" shooter puts dogs in front room & asks officers into kitchen, "you have been shooting towards properties (houses), ammunition has been exiting the shoot boundaries, & complainant challenged you & you ignored the challenge!", whilst this initial conversation is taking place a second arv unit is cancelled by the number two in the team, whilst it is en route from 20 miles + from shooter's home address, surely a serious cost to police funds? what would a poacher/illegal shooter be doing spending enough time on site to shoot a quantity of vermin such as this?, why can unnamed complainants remain so, in this sort of case? Sad
Oddbod

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an "anti" to me.

They know very well that FAC holders are seen as "Guilty until Proven Otherwise" by the authorities & play on this.
State to the Police that the complainant has fabricated their story of having challenged the shooter, that the shooter was NOT firing in the direction of the houses & suggest they consider the possibility that the complainer may be wasting Police time.
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it's an anti, more like a townie who has got the police worked up over nothing.

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
JonathanL
Certified Gun Nut

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if this has all been fabricated then I would be doing my level best to ascertain whether the police will be taking the necessary criminal action as regards their wasted time and the apparent attempt to pervert the course of justice.

From a personal standpoint, I would have absolutely no hesitation in brinigng an action for defamation against said complainant.

J.
craggy_steve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven,

Sorry for the late reply. Please, unless you are 100% sure that this is all going to wash away, contact BASC, CA, or whatever representative group you are a member of ASAP. Get advice, get the background info in place with them.

You want to know what evidence there is of rounds exiting the shoot area - this is a very serious allegation that could easily cost you your certificates. Best evidence would be discharged ammo, if they can't show it how do they know that rounds strayed?

Assuming that the person who claimed to have challenged you did not actually do so - you want full narrative of how, where, exactly what they claim to have said and your replies. their description of you (height, weight, appearance, clothing, colour of eyes, quality of voice (accent etc.)), what you were carrying, description of your weapon - unless they observed you through very good binoculars / telescope these items are not going to be forthcoming.

Do not let this allegation lie - if you do it will haunt you at your next renewal even if they don't take your certificates away now. It is very serious, if the allegation were true someone could have been injured / killed.

As soon as the Police start backing down because their complainant cannot provide compelling evidence, get in there and demand apology for defamation and Police caution for wasting Police time etc. etc.

IMO

craggy_steve
steven latham

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: malicious complaint Reply with quote

Hi, I returned to the same field on four more occasions, despatching yet more rabbits, the last visit with another duly authorised friend, who happens to shoot something a little louder than moderated .17hmr, guess what? it came out of the woodwork to lean on the fence, comment " Hope you come back as a rabbit!" / " You don't have to shoot them in the back!" &" He"( the landowner )never grows anything in there anyway!" my companion who has a really dry sense of humour, replied that he had asked them to stay on their own side of the fence, but they had not taken note, she then says "what if they were shooting back?" i couldn't resist asking her if she'd seen crocodile dundee defending the roo's, anyway, no more input from the shiny button brigade, so we'll let it go at that for now! Steve: Smile
craggy_steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, they may have been reasonably good natured to your face, but they have an issue with you. If they step out of line at all (enter the field while you are shooting or similar), report it to the Police. You are the victim, you are going about your lawful business on land to which they do not have lawful access, they have no rights at all, and that includes coming to the fence and haranguing you.
JonathanL
Certified Gun Nut

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: malicious complaint Reply with quote

steven latham wrote:
Hi, I returned to the same field on four more occasions, despatching yet more rabbits, the last visit with another duly authorised friend, who happens to shoot something a little louder than moderated .17hmr, guess what? it came out of the woodwork to lean on the fence, comment " Hope you come back as a rabbit!" / " You don't have to shoot them in the back!" &" He"( the landowner )never grows anything in there anyway!" my companion who has a really dry sense of humour, replied that he had asked them to stay on their own side of the fence, but they had not taken note, she then says "what if they were shooting back?" i couldn't resist asking her if she'd seen crocodile dundee defending the roo's, anyway, no more input from the shiny button brigade, so we'll let it go at that for now! Steve: Smile

Personally, I think it's always, always a bad idea to start any type of interaction with someone who is anti-shooting and who's main purpose for conversing with you is to rattle you, especially when you are in possession of firearms. You are always more likely to come off worse as they have less to loose than you.

Did you make any enquiries into whether the police have taken the matter any further with regard to investigating any possible waste of their time, etc? Again, if it were me I would be looking seriously at a defamation action (or at least the threat of one) given that they have made serious allegations as to your character, not to mention the comission by you of serious offences.

J.
mr_colt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let it lie. Have your shooting association draw up a formal complaint of defamation. You are legally shooting rabbits as to satisfy the legal obligation of the landowner to control the numbers on his land. Anti's will try every trick in the book to harrass or get you into trouble.

Their eventual goal is to make sure you lose your guns at all costs. The woman talked the way she did probably cause she was annoyed that the police hadn't acted on her previous unfounded accusations and taken your guns.

Just ignore here completly, if she start to hang on the fence etc or come onto the land then immediately unload and slip/sling guns. She is then disrupting lawful activity on the land. Call the police and have her arrested for aggrivated tresspass. Remain cool at all times and try to get someone else to witness the events or video them.

That way the police will have to accept that you are in the right.

mr_colt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Field Sports and Pest Control All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: