Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NRA PRESS RELEASE 15 APR - COMPETENCY CERTIFICATE COMES....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew375

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And who certifies the club chairman?

What if all club chairmen refuse to sign this bit of paper? For most clubs the chairman is purely voluntary and unlike chairmen of the likes of esso or bp have no incentive to take on this duty and responsibility. If something goes wrong and the chairman gets caught up in the blame storming he cannot expect to get away with resigning with a cheque for several million pounds in his pocket by way of compensation. Mad
BobHarget

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NRA's FAQ document sent to clubs states that the Chairman can sign his/her own certificate or get the chairman of another club to do it.
The insurance organised for clubs by the NRA has been updated to include cover for claims of negligence in the area.
If the club is not insured through the NRA they recommend that the matter is checked with the Company concerned.
A chairman can delegate the assessing process to another person/s but only the chair can sign the certificate.
I agree that it will not be an envious task and I think that many clubs will see changes at the top, but in reality we have no choice if we wish to use MOD ranges.

The Pen - What is mightier that the sword; and considerably easier to write with (Marty Feldman)
Alex Hamilton

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrew375 wrote:
Alex Hamilton wrote:

So, what was all that rubbish about bullets being found well outside danger areas? Was that meant to prepare us for Competence Certification?

Apparently some of the match rifle lads were playing with turned ultra high b.c. bullets to try to get their 7.62 rifles to do something that 7.62 NATO was never designed to do. Some of these bullets were picked up by MOD personnel well outside the danger area and traced back. I asked if any action had been taken against the miscreants as they had not only used ammunition that exceeded the range safety template but did so knowingly. I was not surprised that the answer was that no action was taken, but all of us who do respect the range limitations will have to be punished to deflect responsibility away from members of the bisley rifle club.

God, Andrew, that's really awful! This is not just incompetence! This is NRA incompetence that has no parallel. And they have the gall to pat themselves on the back for a job well done?

I think that would justify a few letters to NRA Journal and Target Sport Gun in response to Glynn's statement that all this was not originated by NRA. Not originated but they lumbered us all with a great hassle when they should have come down like a tonne of bricks on those that violated the safety rules in the first place.
andrew375

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MOD range restrictions and the rubbish about bronze bullets are not really connected. The MOD range "experts" were taken by surprise by the fact that tax payers also used the ranges as well as paying for them. I believe the NRA was left completely in the dark and had a lot of catching up to do, unfortunately because the NRA is so 7.62 single shot target rifle using mil.spec ammo orientated their approach was that anything outside their comfort zone could be sacrificed. This restricted vision is evident in all the paper work the NRA have subsequently put out.

However, Glyn made perfectly clear that the MOD did not see that they had any obligation to allow tax payers access to "their" ranges and that the attitude was that it's "our ball and you have to play by our rules or we will take it away!" Take it or leave it.

My attitude is that if the MOD think they are their ranges the tax payer should cease paying for them!

Glyn's answer to my questions about the absurd way of defining the restrictions, particularly those concerning so called "high muzzle energy" firearms, was that these were dreamt up by the MOD and that he was fully aware they were silly. The NRA were presented with this rubbish and told it was not open to negotiation.

My problem with the NRA's treatment of the ignoramuses who were firing ammunition that exceeded the range template, as per Bisley Bible, was that if I or anyone else not a member "bisley 7.62 target rifle club" had been the guilty party I would have been prohibited from using Bisley for life and possibly my club also.The police would have been informed so I would possibly have also lost my FAC! All this because some members of the Bisley establishment cannot see beyond 7.62 NATO!
JonathanL
Certified Gun Nut

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobHarget wrote:
This all comes about because the Crown lost its immunity to prosecution under the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007.

But that is an irrelevance, surely? How would any Crown employee be liable as no Crown emploee is involved with the running of a range that is lease to a civillian club at the relevant time.

J.
JonathanL
Certified Gun Nut

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrew375 wrote:

I asked if any action had been taken against the miscreants as they had not only used ammunition that exceeded the range safety template but did so knowingly. I was not surprised that the answer was that no action was taken, but all of us who do respect the range limitations will have to be punished to deflect responsibility away from members of the bisley rifle club.

We've done this discussion before. Just about any ammunition in any full-bore chambering will "exceed the range safety template" if you fire it at a steep enough angle. That is NOT how the danger area template is designed to work. It's supposed to catch bullets that hit the ground before the targets or ons that pop-over from the bullet catcher from being ejected by later ones. The BC of the bullet is irrelevant as far as the RDA is concerned.

J.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Target Shooting All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: