Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

petition to stop deac ban

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Gun and Ammunition Collecting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: petition to stop deac ban Reply with quote

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/reenactment/

My understanding at the moment is that what the HO want to do is ban the sale of pre-95 deacs.

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1575147/Government-accused-over-deactivated-gun-ban.html

NeilMac

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These Downing street petitions have been shown to be an utter waste of time.

Write an email to your MP about it instead.
Include the statistics and arguments from the Telegraph article linked above.

MP contact details here:
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the only thing that ever works imx is actually writing your MP a letter or better yet, going and seeing your MP.

Neither of those may make any difference either but it's your best shot. I haven't actually seen a firm draft of what this "ban" will look like so it's hard to comment.

fullmetaljacket

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for bringing this up guys/gals, the internet seems to have gone strangely quiet regarding this recently. The only article that I have seen that offers additional information on the new proposed laws is on the original prop blog. I understand the government has been in touch with the UK's gun trade association in order to advise on how best to implement this.

To quote the blog:

According to the GTA (and this has not yet been officially confirmed by the Home Office but has already been indicated) the statement made by Jacqui Smith, the Home Secretary, actually relates to the banning of 88 specification deactivated weapons. i.e all weapons that were deactivated between 1988 and 1995. It is also expected that any owners of 88 specification weapons will have the opportunity to take their items to an armorers to be worked on, bringing the specification up to the 95 grade.

It is not anticipated that the Government will try to pass an act that will outlaw the ownership of all deactivated weapons as the GTA estimates they would have compensation claims running in the 100s of millions of pounds to consider.

All the best,

FMJ.

Last edited by fullmetaljacket on Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get an SG550 they can have working actions as they're classed as LMGs because of the bipod.

That comment sounds a bit off to me, either that or the HO are totally clueless as to what the pre-95 standards were.

There is no significant difference between the pre and post-95 standard except for automatic rifles and SMGs. Pistols, bolt-action rifles, shotguns etc. simply had the standard more carefully detailed in the new instructions but the standard itself is pretty much the same.

Having them all re-inspected would be a pointless exercise.

And let's also bear in mind that Manton's, World Wide Arms, Mick Ranger etc. all sold a lot of deacs prior to the 1988 Act and those are still knocking around. Section 8 of the 1988 Act says they will be "presumed" to be de-activated, but HO guidance says quite clearly it's not absolutely required.

There have been a variety of court cases where pre-88 deacs have been held not to be firearms.

They probably would be considered "realistic imitation firearms" since the VCR Act came into force, but there's nothing in law compelling people to have them inspected.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, there's going to be a General Election next year and I'm not convinced they've got time to actually put legislation through Parliament, if in fact they are going to do a proper consultation exercise. Still waiting for the official Govt. response to the 2004 consultation.

The thing I've been recommending for awhile though is that if you have any foreign-spec or pre-88 deacs, you ought to get them re-done to the current spec, otherwise you really are at the mercy of the courts. This is especially the case if it's an SMG or automatic rifle, as the FSS really go out of their way to nobble people who have them and end up in court.

In addition, you can't legally sell them as they are likely classed as "realistic imitation firearms" (or a working firearm), so they're essentially worthless unless you get them re-done.

cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fullmetaljacket wrote:
On a lighter note! I have just taken delivery of a new specification deactivated SiG 552 Commando! Yes.... its pure swiss firepower! I cannot say enough about Mick Ranger at IDS who managed to source this for me.

fullmetaljacket

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cybershooters,

Thanks for clearing that up! I really didn't want to start any panic and wanted people to know that what I found was purely speculation on a blog on the web.

I thought about the SiG 550, and was torn between the full size and the Commando as I knew the actions would work due to the factory installed bipod. In the end I plumped for the Commando as I just love the look of this lille gun! I'm going to discuss the possibility of getting a G36 (full size) through Mick later this year, as they appear to have factory installed bipods which might mean it can be deactivated with a moving action - that is presuming Mick can source one, and I can afford it. I have seen a couple of G36's for sale deactivated to old spec. Its funny but my girlfriend actually prefers new spec smg's as it drives her crazy when I cycle the action whilst she is watching tv!

I've just woken up, so will post some pictures asap!

All the best (and thanks for the interest in the SiG 552!),

FMJ
fullmetaljacket

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - Just sorting the SiG 552 pics should be up soon. I'll start a new post as not to go 2 far off topic! All the best - FMJ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Gun and Ammunition Collecting All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: