Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

303 MkVIIIz and WWII dated lend lease ammunition packets.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Gun and Ammunition Collecting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeilMac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: 303 MkVIIIz and WWII dated lend lease ammunition packets. Reply with quote

Anyone any experience with the MKVIIIz mg ammunition in rifles?

In theory the difference is a boat tailed bullet (Maybe 1 grain heavier depending who you believe) and an extra 60 fps. Any practical observations?

This lot is Yugoslavian 1981 manufacture in disintegrating link. Incidentally it has a red ring round the primer which I take to be sealant. Anybody seen red sealant before? I've only ever seen blue/black. I assume Yugoslavia had some ex RAF Colt or Browning machineguns as I can't imagine anything else that fired it.

I don't imagine it's going to be particularly accurate but it should do for the rapid fire events!

Incidentally, I picked up some 303 in Winchester boxes with 1941 dates. Boxes are marked "Not for use in Bren Gun" and "For Rifle Practice Only". Lend Lease Lawyers at work?

Does anyone collect this sort of stuff?

Best wishes,

Neil Mac'
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dimly recall tale that the Yugoslavian MG ball was too hot for use in SMLEs. There was something of a scandal surrounding it about ten years ago.

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
NeilMac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used most of the Yugo MkVIII ball now. Goes very nicely in the No.4. No signs of overpressure.
Richard Loweth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for use in Bren Gun may mean that there is some "DEFECT" in the loading that means it won't work the action reliably. Or it may be oversize. Sometimes, also, ammunition is marked "Not for Overhead Fire".
MkV11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard

I've only just picked this up so I'm sorry its so late I remember a warning being issued by MOD when I was an ACF instructor back in the 70's.

Basically while MKV111z .303 can be used in rifles it uses a nitro rather than cordite propellant so it has a different pressure wave. The effects of which are that barrel life is around 6000 rounds rather than 12000 and if MKV11 and MkV111z are interchanged in the same weapon it should in the case of machine guns not be used for overhead fire or flanking fire during training. This was due to cordite eroding from the lead whilst nitro erodes the length of the barrel and there is a risk the bullet will not upset into the rifling.

I hope this helps.

Regards

H
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Gun and Ammunition Collecting All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: