Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exporting a firearm for repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Gun and Ammunition Collecting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perry Owens

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Exporting a firearm for repair Reply with quote

I have a Winchester 1873 on FAC but the chamber is oversize and the bore is pitted so I want to get it relined. The one guy I know in the UK who does this work has a 6 monthy waiting list but I know several in the US who can do it well and faster. What is the procedure for exporting a firearm for repair and, more importantly, getting it back? The rifle was made in 1890 and is classed as an antique in the USA.
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With rifles it's pretty difficult as they're controlled under the AECA. The repairer has to get an approved Form 6 Part 1 from ATF to import it (about a month) which is fairly easy then you can send the rifle to him (note: contrary to popular belief the FFL does not have to be a licensed importer for "occasional" imports). Although I seem to recall guns made before 1898 are exempt.

Once it has been repaired they *may* have to get a DSP-5 export licence, which means they also must be AECA registered and very few FFLs are. Depends on the nature of the repair. Basically, if any parts have to be replaced and those parts are controlled under ITAR then definitely it will require an export licence.

Frankly it's impossible to get proper advice on this from anywhere on the internet, it's far better to give the PMDDTC a call directly and ask the question specifically. There are many things that can have a bearing on whether or not an export licence is needed, such as the value of the parts, the age of the parts (e.g. antique), the type of parts, the nature of the repair, etc.

(202) 663-1282 - General enquiries.
(202) 663-3865 - Firearms division.

If they say no licence required, get them to put it in writing. They might also require you to get a DSP-61, temporary import licence.

http://www.cybershooters.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Gun and Ammunition Collecting All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: