Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FN FAL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Gun and Ammunition Collecting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: FN FAL Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have an SLR and am interested in the FN FAL rifles but am not an expert on gun types! I have seen some that are light support weapons (light machine gun) with a long barrel and bipod at the end and also some called assault rifles with a short barrel and a bipod by the forestock near the sight. Are the latter a genuine FN FAL? Having a bipod on an assault rifle seems odd and it is too short to be a LSW. Having said that I've seen pictures of a FN FAL 50 with a folding stock and short barrel.

Also, my SLR is Australian and only has the options of S or R but I've been told that Australian versions had a full auto option although on mine there is no A stamped by the 3rd notch.

Any help appreciated !

Justin
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you get the books on the FAL by Blake Stevens if you're really interested in them, but yes, FN made an LSW version of the FAL.

I think some Australian L1A1s were converted to selective fire for use in Vietnam, until they gave up on it and bought some M16s for their troops there, but generally speaking they're semi-auto.

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
JC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... The 3 volume (!) set on the FN Fal by Blake Stevens looks interesting but... at 270 for the 3 volumes I may have to pass ! There are some other books though on Amazon I've just found which are more economical in both in expression (a mere 1 volume) and price.

JC
Carrot Cruncher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cybershooters wrote:
I think some Australian L1A1s were converted to selective fire for use in Vietnam, until they gave up on it and bought some M16s for their troops there, but generally speaking they're semi-auto.

The Aussies developed their own full auto LSW from the FAL, but the standard rifle was, like ours, semi auto only. The LSW version was heavy barrelled and had a bipod, but the most distinctive recognition feature (to me) was the tangent rearsight which was too big to go in the usual position, and so it had to be mounted on that tinny top cover, which is what we did in the '70's when we got the first optical SUIT sight. The handguard was bifurcated and formed the bipod legs when unfolded, so it looked a bit strange when being fired, as though the handguard had fallen off and you could see the barrel and gas tube. The Aussie LSW had a 30-rd mag which caused some feed unreliability in just the same way as used to occur with us when we tried putting an L4 LMG mag on our SLR's.
The Aussies replaced their FAL versions with th AUG and the Minimi.
I reckon that most national versions of the standard rifle retained a full auto option, but it was virtually useless due to the violent upwards and rightwards climb of the muzzle.
Good rifle, but we should have gone for the EM2 and .280 British.

Nice to see JC contributing to the forum. Regards to your Dad. Sorry about lifting that fiver out of the collection plate last Sunday.
Can you please smite Rob with a thunderbolt ?
JC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The confusing thing here is that the one I saw recently advertised as an 'assault rifle' had a short barrel (which would make it even more uncontrollable in full auto mode I suppose) and a bipod under the front furniture when it was too small to be a light machine gun. Someone told me some standard SLRs had the barrels cut down by collectors to be sold as assault rifles...

Will deal with the collection pilferage once I've got to the bottom of this SLR stuff.

JC
Carrot Cruncher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aussies did a short barrel version for use by smaller stature irregulars in New Guinea, but I do not know whether it was bipodded. No reason why a local modification couldn't have been produced.
Many ex-military rifles are subjected to a bit of hacking about to make them look like something they never were to increase their desirability and price in the civilian after-market. The fake Lee Enfield "Number 5's" cut down by US importers and others from SMLE's and No 4's are a good example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Gun and Ammunition Collecting All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: