Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gary Hyde To Stand Trial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Legal Proceedings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oddbod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Gary Hyde To Stand Trial Reply with quote

Quote:
York gun dealer Gary Hyde will stand trial in the UK on charges of illegally supplying guns and receiving money from the proceeds of crime.

Gary, 41, has had his trial date set at Southwark Crown Court for January 3rd, 2012 the trial is expected to last around 10 days.

Earlier this year he was summonsed to Westminster Magistrates Court after being allowed home from the United States, where he is separately accused of smuggling Chinese weaponry into America.

And when he appeared at Southwark Crown Court at the end of April he pleaded not guilty to a series of charges and was remanded on bail.

A Southwark Crown Court spokesman said Gary was charged with supplying or delivering 40,000 AK47 assault rifles, 30,000 rifles and 10,000 9mm pistols between March 2006 and December 2007, contrary to the Trade in Goods Control Order 2003.

A second charge under the same order referred to the supply or delivery of 32 million rounds of ammunition, while a third charge under the Proceeds of Crimes Act related to receiving money from Deftech Ltd and Poly Technologies Incorporated by means of commission payments for the supply of firearms and ammunition.

It is understood the alleged offences were in connection with the supply of weaponry between China and Nigeria and followed a major investigation by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

Gary who has resigned his position as director of retailer and wholesaler York Guns was arrested in Las Vegas in January during the SHOT Show, accused of smuggling Chinese AK-44 parts into the United States, in breach of American rules banning their importation and of altering the magazines so they appeared to be made in Bulgaria, which would have made them legal.

He has denied these allegations and was eventually allowed home to the UK, after posting $175,000 bail. A US trial could also be up to a year away, according to his lawyer, Peter Zeidenberg.

* York Guns, which has suspended Gary on full pay, has repeatedly stressed no allegations have been directed towards it as a company, and is continuing to operate normally.

I wonder who's toes he trod on......
JonathanL
Certified Gun Nut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Gary Hyde To Stand Trial Reply with quote

Oddbod wrote:

Perhaps he's actually guilty?

J.
Oddbod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Gary Hyde To Stand Trial Reply with quote

JonathanL wrote:
Oddbod wrote:

J.

Quite possibly - most NGO firearms dealers are, only they're tolerated for their usefulness where deniability is the game.
Mick F
Certified Gun Nut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Gary Hyde To Stand Trial Reply with quote

Oddbod wrote:
JonathanL wrote:
Oddbod wrote:

J.

Quite possibly - most NGO firearms dealers are, only they're tolerated for their usefulness where deniability is the game.

Source? Or supposition?
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already a thread which I've locked if we're going to start a new one. The reason for the US charges is in there. Basically ringing off Chinese stuff as not Chinese, i.e. incorrect description of goods.

The UK charges sound like failure to register as a broker under the Order and the related charges from it. Probably HMRC looked into it after the US charges were laid.

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Gary Hyde To Stand Trial Reply with quote

Oddbod wrote:

Well, DTI technically, or whatever they're called now, BIS. I wouldn't be surprised if he was just unaware of the licensing requirement, although the US charges make it look as though he was intentionally evading it, which may be why they've thrown the book at him.

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
Carrot Cruncher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cybershooters wrote:
The UK charges sound like failure to register as a broker under the Order and the related charges from it. Probably HMRC looked into it after the US charges were laid.

You don't actually register as a broker, you have to get a thingy called a SITCOL (Single Individual Trading Control Licence) for each separate brokering transaction from the Special Casework Licensing Unit at Department of Business, Innovation and Skills.
Just in case there are any budding Merchants of Death reading in, Rolling Eyes You can no longer facilitate a consignment between two overseas countries without regulation by HMG.
I wonder if this is what Mr H did ? Really should have known better Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Legal Proceedings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: