Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steyr AUG
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arnold

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Steyr AUG Reply with quote

The guy from Guns 'n Ammo was certainly impressed with this little item, as was I when I tried one out straight after sampling an M16, both whilst in full auto mode. Perhaps our honourable member "Bob" Ainsworth might be interested in buying a few for when the SA80 is laid to rest?

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1541138791?bclid=1254069906&bctid=65122380001

Arnold.
Carrot Cruncher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austrian army has them, I think. The Omani army does - definitely Shocked , plus the Aussies and the Irish armies. No complaints apart from their appearance !
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a few AUGs, they're okay but it's not as fantastic as some people make out. Ian Hogg used to go on about how wonderful they were - personally I think that was because Steyr gave him a factory cutaway for his collection!

The trigger pull is too heavy plus the safety is a crossbolt like the SA80 and it's bit too easy to accidentally knock it into the "off" position. The sight magnification is only 1.5x as well, which is okay but obviously being a target shooter it wasn't enough. These new ones have a MIL-STD-1913 rail so that should solve that problem at least.

However the thing I didn't like about the AUG the most was that it's too tall, difficult to get into a comfortable shooting position, so in combat I think you would be pretty high off the ground although it's not as bad as an AK.

Until BMW bought their plant off them (to make the X3), there was a plan to make a straight-pull version for the Austrian market which would not have required a licence in Austria as it would have been Category C. Obviously that would have made it section 1 in the UK as well.

This company has been making a copy for awhile: http://www.msarinc.com/home.html I've never tried one but it has a decent reputation.

I tried cleaning the stock of an AUG in a dishwasher once, the screws and nuts holding it together rusted, so I don't recommend doing that! Laughing

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrot Cruncher wrote:
No complaints apart from their appearance !

The Australians have complained about them a lot, complaints about the gas plug blowing off and the safety being too easy to flip off, as I recall.

Carrot Cruncher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whingeing Ockers. I had a colleague killed in Oman using an Aussie designed grenade designed to be fired from the AUG.
Mick F
Certified Gun Nut

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrot Cruncher wrote:
Austrian army has them, I think. The Omani army does - definitely Shocked , plus the Aussies and the Irish armies. No complaints apart from their appearance !

Rubbish. Speak to Aussie and NZ soldiers and ask them what they think of it. I have. Once again, what do their SF use?
Cheers
Mick F
Carrot Cruncher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SF will NEVER use what the Green ARmy uses. It's the law.
Mick F
Certified Gun Nut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrot Cruncher wrote:
SF will NEVER use what the Green ARmy uses. It's the law.

Is that why they do in the American Army then?
Cheers
Mick F
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually had a long conversation some years ago with a WO2 in the ADF whose job it was to maintain the M4s the SAS use.

Part of the problem in Australia is how hot it is, so Australian ammo is not NATO spec, it uses a specially formulated single base powder to withstand the heat.

They did have specific reasons to use the M4, mainly so they could mount various doodads on it that you can't easily put on an AUG (like night vision sights) but there is always an element of "so and so uses them so we should use them too".

The reality is that the AUG was developed by a neutral country that is not in NATO and rarely deploys troops in war zones. It's not a particularly bad design but it hasn't really been through all the heartache a lot of other designs went through to make it really reliable.

I'm fairly certain they never tried putting one in a dishwasher, for example. Laughing

BTW, my personal feeling is that the FN F2000 is a complete ripoff of the AUG, the only major difference is the forward case ejection. And the mag change button isn't as positive on the F2000. Trigger pull feels exactly the same.

My personal feeling is that the FA MAS is the best bullpup design, there are lots of things I can criticise about it ergonomically but I can't ever remember anyone pointing out a problem with it that indicated it didn't work or had a major design flaw.

JonathanL
Certified Gun Nut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cybershooters wrote:

Part of the problem in Australia is how hot it is,....

I seem to recall reading that the plastic furniture melted due to the high temperatures you produce when firing the things full-auto in the desert.

J.
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets just accept tat all bull pups suck. Its just a nasty idea, and proof that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
Mick F
Certified Gun Nut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cybershooters wrote:
My personal feeling is that the FA MAS is the best bullpup design, there are lots of things I can criticise about it ergonomically but I can't ever remember anyone pointing out a problem with it that indicated it didn't work or had a major design flaw.

Dropped once, never been fired?
Cheers
Mick F
Mick F
Certified Gun Nut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
Lets just accept tat all bull pups suck. Its just a nasty idea, and proof that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

The principle is brilliant, to get an assault rifle in 2/3 the space. The practicalities leave something to be desired. If you had a forward ejector, ambidextrous, reliable with picatinny etc rails to allow the attachment of sights, bells and whistles, it'd be good whoever made it.

As for attaching a bayonet, maybe but so many people put moderators on nowadays......
Cheers
Mick F
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick F wrote:
If you had a forward ejector, ambidextrous, reliable with picatinny etc rails to allow the attachment of sights, bells and whistles, it'd be good whoever made it.

You've just described an FN F2000. I don't hate it but I don't love it either - it's okay. One of the problems with bullpups is the magazine release, the release on the SA80 is actually one of the better ones, imo.

I think Belgian SF use the F2000.

cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick F wrote:
Dropped once, never been fired?

Now, now. Laughing You'll have a Legionnaire after you.

The controls on the FA MAS remind me of the controls on a Citroen, but it does work. Just takes some getting used to. Always wondered what would happen under stress trying to use it. "Er, er, let me just flip this up, flip this thing round, press this button and oh... I'm dead." Probably quicker just to carry it in condition 3. I was never entirely clear on the shape of the buttstock either because there's a shelf about halfway down so getting a cheekweld is awkward.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Military All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: