Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bye Bye Hi Power

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Bye Bye Hi Power Reply with quote

Glock Replaces Browning

How long before the first solider shoots himself in the leg with one?
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

360 each sounds a bit steep, police prices in the US are usually somewhere around $350-$400. I assume it must include the holster.

This is the press release: http://www.army.mod.uk/news/24697.aspx

I'm not a huge fan of the Gen 4 Glocks, the way you adjust the grip for different sized hands isn't very good, the frame extension is held on by the trigger housing pin, which I don't think is a terribly secure way of doing it.

I think pistols that have designed from scratch with adjustable grips like the SIG Pro are better (also I think the SIG Pro SP2022 is generally speaking a better pistol than the Glock 17 for military/police use).

Guardian.

Quote:
Personal sidearms were described by soldiers on Wednesday as "lifesavers".

Really? Shocked

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think much of this. The Glock is much used by police forces, but I don't think it has been adopted by many armies. The stupid little "safety catch" on the trigger blade and semi-cocked striker will certainly lead to NDs.

A friend in the RAF Regiment has been issued with a SIG in Afghanistan, which seems like a much better choice to me, but I expect it will now be turned into a peace sculpture or something.
Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the Guardian notes that no British company tendered for the pistol contract. How surprising, given Britain's thriving firearms industry.

The nonsense about the Browning taking four seconds to fire against one for the Glock only applies if the Browning is carried with the hammer down on an empty chamber, whilst the Glock has one up the spout already. Will it become armed forces doctine to carry the Glock hot I wonder, especially when the NDs start?
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
I don't think much of this. The Glock is much used by police forces, but I don't think it has been adopted by many armies. The stupid little "safety catch" on the trigger blade and semi-cocked striker will certainly lead to NDs.

The Glock 17 was designed for military use by the Austrian Army and it is widely used by militaries around the world.

This is in fact why I think it is a bad choice for the police, because in the military you tend to carry in Condition 3 (empty chamber) rather than Condition 1 like the police do, and then a safety catch becomes important.

Rob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cybershooters wrote:
Rob wrote:

The Glock 17 was designed for military use by the Austrian Army and it is widely used by militaries around the world.

This is in fact why I think it is a bad choice for the police, because in the military you tend to carry in Condition 3 (empty chamber) rather than Condition 1 like the police do, and then a safety catch becomes important.

Is it more widely used than the SIG family or Beretta 92 I wonder?

The puffery in the articles about the Glock being available to fire in a second seems to imply that it will be carried with one up the spout, in which case I would say NDs are guaranteed. In fact, I'd call them ADs, because the faults in the Glock are inhherent in the design, and if something can go wrong, it will.
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
Is it more widely used than the SIG family or Beretta 92 I wonder?

More widely than the SIG-Sauers, but not the Beretta, mainly because of the enormous numbers of guns the US military has purchased.

sassniper

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: brownung hi power Reply with quote

ok i will start my first letter by thanking the administrator steve for helping me get on this site as i am a bit of a technophobe so thanks buddy. now regards the browning hi power by fabrique nationale i have had the priviledge of putting thousands upon thousands of rounds through it and love the thing. never had issues with the working of the weapon in nearly all enviroments. but i do now see the issue regarding upgrade as it has been in service a century. the change to the glock 17 generation 4 is a good choice i have fired this weapon also and know the stringent tests it was put through before selection. but in my own opinion i would have liked to see the SIG P228 being selected as i found it really comfortable to shoot and hit its mark every time on target and is already in use with some regiments of the british army. so for the likes of the SAS, SBS, RMC, SFSG i think that changinging from the SIG to GLOCK will not be a big issue as thay technically chose what there own preference is anyway. but it will be sad to see the old browning go.
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sauer stopped making the original P228 in 2008. They make a new version of it which is in reality just the P229 with a different slide profile, but it doesn't take the P228 magazines.

sassniper

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know zastava arms in yugoslavia make a copy of the SIG P226, P228 and P229 under licence.
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a copy, it's their own design, the CZ99, similar to the P226 but not the same.

sassniper

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have seen this gun and it is the same in nearly every detail except markings. has the same frame, slide and hammer release on each side. it may be the CZ99 like you say and i just thought it was a licenced copy. but both are identical in every dimension.
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not identical, I used one a fair bit, club I was a member of used to have one as a club gun: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZ_99

The main problem I remember is that it had a loaded chamber indicator which would cause failures to feed. The decocker design was a bit crap as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Military All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: