Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fixing GI Spec AR15 magazines

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: fixing GI Spec AR15 magazines Reply with quote

Hi guys, I have bought some GI spec mags (I have a MARS VZ58 with an ar magwell adapter coming) and one of the magazines has got stuck. The follower and spring have stuck about 20% down or so. Do any of you guys know if its the spring that could be a problem? I'd like to add, its a HK systems magazine that was used by the Army in SA80's and has a slight very minor dent in the side (anybody be able to tell me if this will affect the feeding in any way)? I'm new to the forum but I have been reading your editorials and such for a while and find alot of things I learn great. Any help would be much appreciated? I gather a new spring might be needed?
caxton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite possible the dent is enough to jamb the follower. The easiest solution is to throw it away and buy another. They are cheap. Very Happy
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I did that. I tried to take the spring out and it was stuck. I sent it back to the guy I bought it off. He is a sending a replacement. I'm getting a magpul E mag in its place. When I get my MARS VZ58 (the trigger release rifle). Is anyone here interested in me reviewing it?
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The H&K mags are notorious for not working, it's because they're made of steel so if you drop it, you can quite easily bend it and the tolerances in them are quite tight. This is why the Army switched to MagPul magazines. The problems with the H&K mags are usually with the feed lips getting bent though.

Those Vz 58s are quite a clever idea. It doesn't "automatically reload" so not covered by Section 5(1)(ab). Never tried one in .223, is it accurate?

Quote:
Is anyone here interested in me reviewing it?

Yes please. sniper

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, I actually got my magpul mag, one thing I will say is if you buy a Mars VZ58, buy an e mag off caledonian classic arms with it if you go for the ar magwell adapter. I say this as the mag will work, but you need to do a bit of filing at the feed lip so it wont interfere with the last round Bolt Hold open. Its a sweet gun. I will post a review now. Let me know what you think of my review when I am done please. I am sorry for not replying so quick as I have had a strange week (work, education and some family matters).
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the real question is how easy is it to convert it into a semi-automatic rifle. I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of spring-loading the bolt release on an AR-15 so the bolt locks back after every shot. But probably not legal because all you've got to do to convert it into a semi-automatic rifle is remove the spring.

There was a case back in the 1980s when Wiltshire Small Arms was selling converted G3s and the FSS figured out they could be converted back to full-auto by removing a pin and there was another similar case involving Sterling SMGs. In both cases the court decided they were prohibited.

This not being converted but being originally made this way makes it less likely that argument could be used, but if it's only a case of removing a part or two...

It has quite far reaching implications, because in some EU countries you can buy Category C firearms over-the-counter (or with minimal paperwork) and if this isn't semi-automatic, it would be Category C.

Sixshot6

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: I understand what you mean Steve Reply with quote

I talked with Scott about the Process of it being approved and he would'nt take deposits until it was approved, since the FSS was privatised/disbanded who says what is a section 1 and section 5 these days Steve?

The long and short of it, Its approved and and for now its a great gun of mine, pride of place in the cabinet.

I hear you on the Cat C for the EU, I've seen Danes interested as although they can get Centrefire semi autos, they are generally restricted to one, so it might fly there and don't forget Austria too.
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same people as always said in the past - the courts. The Home Office can't "approve" anything, they can just give an opinion. I can think of several people who were still prosecuted who had it in writing from the Home Office that they thought it was legal, not the least of whom is Guy Savage. As I recall the FSS attached an M16A1 buttstock to one of his AR-15 pistols which they produced in court.

The Home Office are always nice and friendly until ACPO or a police force start moaning about it.

I don't know exactly how that rifle works so I can't really comment further than that.

Sixshot6

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the Info Reply with quote

I'm not sure what to do now, I spent a lot on the gun. I love it, what plan should I have for a contingency if things go belly up Steve? I guess with the ar15 pistols you're talking pre 1997? Say just for Devils Advocate, what would someone in Northern Ireland's legal standing be with something like an AR15 or Kel Tec Su16 pistol that conformed to under the 12/24 rule that they seem to use to define a pistol there? Also I know I mentioned it in another post, but what is the Isle of man definition of a semi auto Centrefire Carbine? I only ask as I will likely move there for family reasons in the future so some help would be nice. Also is anyone going to ask me anything else about the MARS VZ58?
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'd worry about it if it happens. I'm afraid I've had my guns banned so many times now I'm fairly blasť about the whole thing.

Mmm, good point, not sure what the legal status of an AR-15 pistol would be in Northern Ireland, my guess is they would look at Guy Savage's conviction and say it is also banned there, he was convicted of sale of self-loading rifles. But only a court could say for sure.

The Isle of Man has no definition of a self-loading carbine. The 1988 Act changed the definition of a rifle so that section 57(4) of the 1968 Act says: "rifle includes carbine" but they didn't copy that bit on the Isle of Man so it is a grey area.

Sixshot6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Well ok Reply with quote

Well things happen there will be some way to save face I guess. I just look at that section of the 1988 act that says that any firearm not available pre 1988 can be banned with compo or something to that affect (way to trample of English Common law there Hurd and Maggie). Strangely though you mention the thing with Guy Savage and I know, well it was just on an NI shooting forum and a few of the guys there had the FAB defence carbine kits fitted to there pistols (mainly glocks). They seemed fine. Mind those kits are actually sold in the mainland uk license free as there is no real barrel in them and it just seems to act as a stabilizing platform for pistols. Maybe with the Roni Carbine kits which do have a barrel in them, they might come a croper but who knows. I know that in the US both kits are regulated but that is the NFA act and the short barrel rifles and AOW stuff they have. I know they had a thing with the Roni's in Australia. Ok in some places but banned in others. I followed a forum where they showed they had been made in South Australia. Legal to own, but not use and under some clause about firearms replicating prohibited firearms b*ll*cks. I nearly ended up with my family emigrating to western Australia. Thank god I didnt, apart from pistols (on worse restrictions than here pre 1997), its worse than here. But Steve what is your opinion on most of what I've said then? What should I be aware of with all I have mentioned?
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er... well I think with these Vz 58s (or any firearm) it boils down to how easily it can be converted. It's impossible to say how a court would rule, especially now the FSS has bit the dust. A Vz 58 being originally a selective-fire firearm and a lever-release pistol being originally a firearm designed as semi-automatic, if you can convert them into what they were originally designed as with minimal effort, don't be surprised if a court decides they are prohibited.

One of Guy's many court cases came to the conclusion on appeal that if you manufacture a section 1 firearm from parts that could (or would ordinarily be used) in a prohibited firearm, that was legal - which is why the police were forced to back off on hassling people about straight-pull AR-15s. However to convert one you would have to (at least) drill a precision hole into the barrel, which requires moving the front sight and then install a gas tube. Gareth Murfin was also found not guilty of selling "downconverted" firearms but they had been converted outside the UK, before Proof House inspection. And to convert them back would have been fairly difficult as you would need prohibited parts and also you'd need to do some careful machining.

If all it takes though is the simple removal of one or two small parts and the gun is semi-automatic afterward, hmm... depends on the design of the gun really. The SGC lever-release AR-15s are pretty sophisticated, those look legal to me.

Sixshot6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: I see Reply with quote

Good points Steve, I did ask Scott why he designed the release to be worked with the trigger and it was his two twin daughters who shoot. One is left handed and the other right handed. I think his wife is left-handed too (as I am). I havent got the knowledge to do any of the things you mentioned. I know there is a gas piston in the design as during cleaning the rod needs cleaning (it gets dirty so its part of the action). Its more sophisticated than it looks. On a similar note was advice Scott took from Police Scotland (yes that is there name now) they asked him to get people wanting to buy one to have the MARS action as the type on the variation and application forms, but I pointed my police force (S Yorks) doesnt really care about action type and just puts rifle, so that was accepted. However if your police is different, you need MARS action on. Another argument for a single licensing authority then?
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Also further to a point Reply with quote

I follow the law, I would never break it. I just wanted to make it clear. I did everything and always do by the book. Anyway, have you heard anything from the guy you know that works at Grandpower yet?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Target Shooting All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: