Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deer Stalking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Field Sports and Pest Control
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeilMac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Deer Stalking Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I'm going stalking in a few weeks for the first time so have been doing some research. I came across the Deer Commission Scotland website which has a lot of interesting information:

http://www.dcs.gov.uk/index.htm

The deer clock http://www.dcs.gov.uk/BestPractice/gd_sShot03.htm
and calibre listings http://www.dcs.gov.uk/BestPractice/gd_fballisticschart.htm
are particularly helpful I thought.

Hope this is of help and interest to others.
spyr0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeilMac,
Hope you have a great time, and that its cooled down for you by then!!
I dont mean to patronise but have added my twopenneth......
Books, sites and DVDs are great but the best way is always to get out and do it, as I am sure you will know.
I presume you are out with a guide - squeeze all the tips you can from him. They will be handy if not this time, then maybe on your next stalk. These guys are amazing..... they can tell you to the minute where your quarry will be, and if they aint....call them in. Outstanding!
If you are likely to shoot the same area again make a map as soon as you can, mark where you spotted deer and likely areas, so next time you have a better idea of what to expect.
Cheers
[img]b*llox- lost patience!![/img]
http://images1.fotopic.net/?iid=yikj20&outx=332&quality=70

Last edited by spyr0 on Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:47 pm; edited 15 times in total
franchi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you tell us when you have been on the stalk

I was due to join the stalking club at Minsterley earlier in the year and go on my first ever stalk, but sudden illness has postponed it now till next year at the earliest

I would love to hear how you got on, and where you went etc

russ
NeilMac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll fill you in with the results (if any) when I get back. I quite agree with the point on not expecting to learn it all from books. I haven't been to do a DSC course or anything but am relying on my experience of a lot of rabbit shooting and familiarity with my rifle gained over many years. ( I have a sporterised Lee-Enfield No.4 )

The other factor I'm particularly relying on of course is the guidance and instruction of the stalker!

I have read on the topic to an extent and did buy "The deer stalking handbook" by Graham Downing.

It is quite informative although I found that it mainly served to confirm things I already thought.

I think a "coffee table" type book showing different species of deer in different seasons and partially obscured in woodland etc would be a great aid to the novice stalker. It would need to show how to identify the sex and species given often limited information and also show the best bullet placement or indicate "don't shoot" depending on how the deer was presented.

Most writing on the topic doesn't even give a clear indication of the size of the various species. I think that most people would get a better idea of the size of a Roe (for example) by being told that it's "about the size of a large lamb but more slightly built and on longer legs" than that it is "60 - 76cm at the shoulder and about 27Kg."

I'll let you all know how I get on.

Best wishes,

Neil Mac'
franchi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks neil, that would be greatly appreciated

I have found this link very good for deer related publications

http://www.bdsshop.co.uk/acatalog/Deer_Management_and_Stalking.html

russ
NeilMac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect BDS to be informative although their stance on pistols for humane despatch leaves a lot to be desired in my view.

Best wishes,

Neil Mac'
spyr0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeilMac wrote:
Most writing on the topic doesn't even give a clear indication of the size of the various species. I think that most people would get a better idea of the size of a Roe (for example) by being told that it's "about the size of a large lamb but more slightly built and on longer legs" than that it is "60 - 76cm at the shoulder and about 27Kg."

As with all other quarry it depends on the time of year.... if you shoot a buck at the end of the rut you will be most disappointed at the dressed weight. I have shot does that have nearly fitted into a pocket!
On the other hand I have been face to face with a red and nearly filled my undies!!

Look forward to your report.
Cheers
NeilMac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have been and returned successfully,

Haven't written it up yet though. Have Photo's now so will get round to it soon.

Best wishes,

Neil Mac'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Field Sports and Pest Control All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: