Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone know anything about AR15 buttstocks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Does anyone know anything about AR15 buttstocks Reply with quote

I have bought a new FAB defence buttstock for my VZ58 which has an AR stock adapter on it, part of the Adapter includes a buffer tube, I was trying to replace the one on it for the FAB stock in question. It goes on part of the way but gets stuck at the end of the tube? Any idea what could be happening?
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: I think I have the solution Reply with quote

I have noticed the dimensions at the bottom of both stocks is different, I believe I need the straight back tube.
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two different diameters for AR-15 collapsible buttstocks, the "commercial" diameter and the "military" diameter, the "commercial" buffer tube is slightly larger so mil-spec buttstocks won't fit on it.

I've seen various explanations as to why two different types exist, as I dimly recall from my own experience, someone back in the 1980s wanted to copy the Colt stock (maybe Olympic Arms, they've made non-standard parts for money reasons on various occasions) and it was cheaper at the time using a larger diameter tube, I assume because of the threading. Might have been for patent reasons as well.

The "commercial" tubes have a slanted end so you can tell them apart.

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Thank you Steve Reply with quote

I checked, its a commercial tube, I have ordered a milspec from midway uk, don't know when its coming but its coming. Its slanted. Its just a tube cover I needed as since the VZ58 is a gas piston it doesnt need the full buffer tube, just the cover. Its a UTG one I have coming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Target Shooting All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: