Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NSRA investigation in Downloads

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex Hamilton

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: NSRA investigation in Downloads Reply with quote

There is a prominent notice on NSRA's home page stating that they are investigating "Downloading" in response to "many concerns"! This is apparently for insurance purposes.

Does anyone know anything about this?

I must admit that few would regard NSRA as the centre for reloading and I am worried that the insurance experts are deciding on a matter they know nothing about.

Best regards,
Alex
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of hair splitting over "handloading" v. "downloading" I would think.

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about NSRA insurance being ruled not to cover the downloading of fullbore cartridges such as .303 or .308 to power levels that would allow them to be used on indoor ranges that would not be cleared for them if used at factory load levels.
One of the concerns is their wording would also prevent the use of rounds such as .357 or .44 magnum that would also be too powerful for such ranges if factory ammo were used.

On the whole it's better just to use NRA insurance instead.
Alex Hamilton

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clubs that are exclusively smallbore prone are quite rare and if this is going to have an effect on 357Mag and 44Mag, it could lead to an "exodus" from NSRA affiliation. It could be a disaster financially for NSRA.

I have been reloading .303, .308W and 7.62X54R with cast lead bullets for years, so I know many who do the same. All of these calibres are "downloaded" in comparison with original factory specs., because cast lead bullets cannot withstand the service pressure. Some are downloaded to .357M/38Sp ballistics, because they are cheap and still good for ranges up to 200yds.

I think NSRA could do itself a lot of damage in changing the terms of their insurance and it would serve them right for meddling.

Alex
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Hamilton wrote:
The clubs that are exclusively smallbore prone are quite rare

I don't think they are quite rare because miniature rifle ranges don't necessarily require an inspection so there are lots of them knocking about at schools etc. because they're exempt under section 11(4). No idea how many of them are affiliated to the NSRA, mind you.

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Target Shooting All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: