Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Terrorist attack in Copenhagen

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Terrorist attack in Copenhagen Reply with quote

So apparently this guy was released from prison two weeks ago, went straight down to his AKs-r-us and then opened fire at a meeting. Not exactly a gun control success story is it?

The gun laws in Denmark are very restrictive, any handgun with a barrel length less than 120mm is banned, any handgun in a calibre more than 9mm is banned, you have to get an authorisation to go a range in addition to all the usual licensing, registration, gun club membership jazz.

The number of legally possessed handguns is around 50,000 and the number of legally possessed rifles is around 100,000 in a population of 5.6 million, so significantly more common than the UK but that's no surprise.

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: When you mean 9mm Steve Reply with quote

Is that a nominal caliber for Denmark? I only ask as I believe Denmark and Australia were the reason IPSC started allowing .357 sig in major power (saving all those pour souls the trouble of trying attain 9mm Major)? That and 38 super and 357 magnum are pretty much legal so once again am I right in saying all those caliber's are 9mm under Danish Law?

Plus what you've said is about right. I know police in Europe used to shake their heads at how US police armed themselves after incidents like the North Hollywood shootout. But I guess The Paris shootings showed them that people who don't follow the law will oh.... I don't know, not follow it and break it. Would I be correct in saying it proved that packing a carbine of sorts in the squad car is a reasonable idea?
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's 9mm or .38 in Denmark, you can have .38 Super but the actual bullet diameter is 0.356" and .38 Special is 0.357" Bizarrely they will allow people who visit with their licensed guns from other countries to have any calibre or barrel length, but the Danish themselves are subject to barrel and calibre limits.

IPSC banned 9mm major years ago, the idea behind allowing .357 SIG was because of Standard Division as you can't make major except with a 10mm bullet or larger, so they put in an exemption for .357 SIG so the Australians could have a major calibre for standard. But it was always okay in Open Division.

Sixshot6

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: I also once noticed Reply with quote

a Danish shooting forum where they were interested in the VZ58 Mars that Scott imports into the uk. From what I could gather they can get a license for a self loading rifle, but often only one. So I guess you were right about it potentially having some appeal in EU countries. I guess with caliber they always have to make some lee way. It would be kind of funny though if in the future I move to the Isle of man, have a 1911 double stack in 45 acp and go to denmark for a comp and there are other guys shooting just 38 super's and 357 sigs. The comedy of it.
Rob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rifle used in Denmark is reported to be an M95, which is the Danish version of the Canadian C7. Stolen, apparently, from the home of a Home Guard member. I didn't know Denmark still had one.
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got the link but I believe them and the Norwegians still allow reserve members to keep their arms at home. I guess it saves on a full time army?
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denmark has a militia-type system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Guard_%28Denmark%29

But it's much smaller than the Swiss Army and they don't all get to keep their rifles at home.

Sixshot6

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Thanks Steve Reply with quote

That's what I thought they had, what is the criteria for them keeping arms at home then?
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in that Wikipedia reference.

Sixshot6

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Thanks Steve Reply with quote

I got 24 hours documented service in a Calender year and some unspecified other criteria (that for reasons known only to them is not mentioned in the wiki entry). Apparently its also been stated in the Danish media he was on the high strength Cannabis strain Skunk (just for the record I know Skunk is the stuff that appears to be linked to serious mental health problems). I haven't got any Danish links apart from some throwaway stuff I heard. However... the plot thickens. Considering that Denmark is not that involved in the recent military ops in the likes of Libya, it does show these crazies will attack whoever they feel like that can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Crime All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: