Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

G36 assault rifle melts too easily, says Bundeswehr
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:11 am    Post subject: G36 assault rifle melts too easily, says Bundeswehr Reply with quote

Just going to shamelessly link to this: TFB article.

The problem has been traced to H&K using polyethylene (as used in plastic bags) rather than polyamide in the construction of the receivers, thus they melt too easily.

Not exactly surprising as there have been complaints about the SL8 losing zero going back years among civilian shooters. And that's a semi-auto that would be shot more slowly, generally speaking.

Of some interest as the G36 is quite widely used by police forces in the UK. Time to buy some Swiss Arms SG553s. Twisted Evil

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: G36 assault rifle melts too easily, says Bundeswehr Reply with quote

When did they start cutting these corners and they uk police spent the money I think they did on G36's, they could have bought AR's for less.
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to have one sentence. I guess anyone with an SL8 around the world will have it drop in value now. Say Steve didn't HK have a straight pull SL8 called the R8, how come no one thought to try and import one in the uk?
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The police follow fashion in these matters. In the 80s they had to have Smith & Wesson revolvers and Remington shotguns, now it is de rigeur to have Glocks and HKs.
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sixshot6 wrote:
Say Steve didn't HK have a straight pull SL8 called the R8, how come no one thought to try and import one in the uk?

Because H&K UK didn't want to sell guns to the public, basically and the R8 was really thought up by the Australian distributor. Also I suspect Gareth Murfin's case had something to do with it, the main thing they went after him for was an SL8 that he'd had rebarrelled by B&T. So the argument was, it was a downconverted rifle. However as B&T are a subcontractor for H&K, that was a bit of a weak argument (thus found not guilty) and in the end the conclusion was that section 7 only applies to stuff downconverted after proof in the UK anyway.

So not wanting to tweak the nose of their biggest UK customer (aka the police) they probably decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

Straight-pull SL8 would be a bit tedious, straight-pull G36 would be a bit more interesting. After Gareth's case I can't see why you couldn't have an SL8 rebarrelled and imported into the UK. But why would you want to? Don't make them anymore anyway.

There's a straight-pull AUG that was made for the Austrian market as well but they don't seem to have made many. I've only seen pictures.

Sixshot6

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it was an SL8 straight pull that got Murfin in trouble. I thought it was his M1 carbines. My bad. I was told by Roger at south yorkshire shooting supplies that Murfin has seeminly disappeared off the face of the Earth. He also said he carried himself off strangely. Where he gone then? Someone I heard from said he'd moved to Germany. What made Murfin do that then?
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Steve, there are plenty of straight pull Augs sold in the uk that I've even seen with my own eyes. Or was this a different straight pull Aug? Oh these threads are great where I take them off track and we have fun. But yes, it seems like the G36 was military rifle designed with no much military work in mind and corners cut (very un-german Rolling Eyes )
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Looks it things are going along Reply with quote

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/04/23/german-defense-minister-g36-has-no-future-with-bundeswehr/

Not so nicely for HK
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the Sunday Times has caught on.

Quote:
So it was an SL8 straight pull that got Murfin in trouble. I thought it was his M1 carbines. My bad.

They went after him over a variety of things he was selling, but it was the SL8 that got the attention of Glos. police to begin with. That bit didn't pan out so they then decided to go after him over the M1 carbine and some other things he'd imported.

Anyway those straight-pull AUGs have clearly not caught on because I've never seen one in the flesh. The idea behind them is that they're over-the-counter in Austria (whereas the semi-auto version requires a licence), so basically all they've done is make them without the gas port. Really I think it was intended more as a wall hanger.

Sixshot6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, so the M1 carbines were an issue too. Reminds me of a dealer who due to some "Issues" him and his police force had with each other. They took him to court, he lost. He appealed, they knew'd he win, but he was bankrupted.

Say Steve, you once said that MARS actions might appeal in Austria due to them being over the counter under the right circumstances, do you still hold this view? But yes it does strike me as a wall hanger. Say Steve. I once heard somewhere (ok it was wikipedia) that flash hiders and bayonet lugs are banned in Austria. Is that why all the rifles that would have them, have brakes or comps?
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember making any comment about MARS actions, but AFAIK Austria doesn't have a law banning flash hiders, that was Germany, but they scrapped it a few years ago (hence why the SL8 did not have one).

Sixshot6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess its true you should not trust wikipedia all the time. I knew the germans had a ban on flash hiders that was lifted. I guess you live and learn. Say off topic but what's your take on flash hider/brake combos? Do they work as advertised or are they just gimmicks?

I also thought the not having a hider was so SL8's could be imported into the US (the us versions only had a single stack magwell also, due their import laws). I believe magpul make P mag G36 mags, so people have done SL8 conversions and got them "back" to spec.

Speak of the devil also, the firearms blog again
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/04/27/test-g36s-alleged-accuracy-problems/

This time, they are testing for the peoples of youtube, and the internet in general.
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no point to flash hiders on civilian rifles really, they don't put flash suppressant in the powder used in commercial loads either. So if you're going to hang something on the end of a barrel and you're not going for a "military" look, the best idea is a compensator. Or a sound suppressor, as the case may be.

Sixshot6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So muzzle brakes away then? Or comps? Glad for the opinion. I only want to know as I might in the future find myself on a range where the brake on the vz is not welcome. So having access to one of the vz flash hiders will just be for one of those events. But I have seen video and pics of some G36 conversions, some look very good. Some also use magwell adapters to use more readily available ar mags. I guess each unto his own. Weren't Hk supposed to be coming up with a new G36 clone? One for Europe/Canada and one for the US and both using AR mags?
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the H&K 243, and the 293 for the US market. I'm not sure if they've actually shipped any yet though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Military All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: