Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The One That Got Away

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Field Sports and Pest Control
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick F
Certified Gun Nut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: The One That Got Away Reply with quote

I know everyone on here will have their 'fisherman's tales.' Here's one:

'Martin' stalking red deer in Norfolk, stags only. Gets to within 25m of a red stag, Thought it was a ten pointer, 'Jim' thought it was a 12 or 14. He'd heard it warning off the younger bucks three times before and told 'Jim' it was to the left, tracked along the side of the copse. Stopped when he saw it in the field. Didn't get a good sight picture because of the tree's between him and the deer. Edged further along the edge of the wood and stopped. He'd seen three hinds with the stag and another hind was in the edge of the wood. 'Jim' doesn't know why he's stopped, edges forward Rolling Eyes and the hind see's him. Trots off, but not too far. This leaves an opportunity for 'Martin' to get to the edge of the wood. Get's the stag in his sights, releases the safety and it moves off again. Three more times, just as he acquires the sight picture, it moves off until it's at the edge of the fog.

Magnificent sight, even if he didn't take the shot(s). Stag with eight hinds and one or two yearlings.

The one with the Roe Buck and 'Jim' falling down is another story.
Cheers
Mick Fidgeon:-)
spyr0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate to that Mick, well not exactly me, my shooting buddy actually.
I was at one side of about 300 acres and he at the other. He spent an hour or so stalking the "biggest Sika stag he had seen", getting eventually to within 100 mtrs but no clear shot because of the hinds milling about. Moving around he eventually got a good bead on this awesome beast.........

!! BANG!!

I dropped a super buck from my position. I wont print what came over the walky talky, but it wasnt pleasant!!
Cheers
Nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Field Sports and Pest Control All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: