Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frying tonight!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Field Sports and Pest Control
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeilMac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Frying tonight! Reply with quote

I'm hoping to get some rabbit for supper tonight. A nice 3/4 grown rabbit, fried up with some chillies, onion and garlic. Unlucky Fried Rabbit we call it. I'm planning to use the air rifle but I'll probably have a shotgun at hand too.

Anyone got any novel rabbit recipies?

Best wishes,

Neil Mac'

(PS, Can I nominate this post for the dullest post competition? I struggle on those interesting political ones...) Wink
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, where's Pete Jackson when you need him...

I did hear an interesting story about a rabbit from my mother the other day. But that's not exactly a recipe.

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
NeilMac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh do tell!

Neil
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During WW2 my grandparents ran a bakery (and for a long time prior and after), because of the law on storing flour the bakery proper was down the street from the shop, and they lived in a flat above the shop (this was in Kingstanding).

My grandad was head of the local Home Guard, because he was a baker he didn't have to serve in the armed forces as he was considered an essential worker.

Anyway, for several nights the Germans bombed Birmingham, trying to hit the ICI ammunition plant (and various other munitions plants) which was not far from Kingstanding.

When the air raid sirens went off, it was my grandad's job to get everyone safely to the air raid shelter, and my grandmother and her kids (my mom and uncle) would go to the bakery, as my grandad had built a bunker inside out of bags of flour.

So on the third night of the bombing, my grandmother decided she couldn't be bothered to go the bakery again and sit in darkness all night, so when the air raid siren went off my grandad suggested they hide under the dinner table (which was in the dining room behind the shop), but once they were under there my gran decided she liked that even less so they ended up running down to the bakery as the planes came overhead - and they left in such a hurry they left my mom's rabbit behind.

When the all-clear sounded a couple of hours later, they headed home, to find the fire brigade there throwing furniture out of the windows. An incendiary bomb had been dropped on the house, and gone straight through the roof, through the living room floor, and into the shop. The blast had blown the windows out, but the biscuit tins in the window were still piled in a pyramid!

The dining room door had been blown off its hinges, and the inside of the dining room had been scorched.

Anyway, my mom was worried about her rabbit. When she went into the kitchen the inside was a mess, but the rabbit hutch was behind the kitchen wall and the wall had protected the rabbit from the blast, so he was okay, albeit in a state of shock, as you might expect.

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
NeilMac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice story!

Well I didn't end up getting a rabbit on Tuesday although I did come back with my first pheasant of the year. I'm looking forward to Sunday lunch!
Went last night and missed a rabbit with the air rifle. I should have just used the shotgun. It's a difficult piece of land to shoot rimfire on because of the lack of suitable back stops and the neighbouring golf course, road, footpath, garden!

Anyway, at least I had some venison in the freezer from stalking this summer so it's red stag casserole tonight. Bang it in the oven, down the pub for a couple of pints of pedigree and back home for supper. Can't be bad.

Best wishes,

Neil Mac'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Field Sports and Pest Control All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: