Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

L85A3 in the offing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: L85A3 in the offing? Reply with quote

Article.

I don't care how many times they upgrade it, it's always going to be heavy and poorly balanced. And given that the French are apparently just about to ditch the FA MAS (which is a better rifle), perhaps the time has finally come for the UK forces to do the same thing?

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that the bullpup era is ending (Israel being the one bucking the trend). How difficult would it be to get Colt Canada to gear up for UK production and get some C7's and C8's into service?
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure they'd be happy to, but given the MoD didn't go down that path last time I doubt it will happen this time.

Honestly, when I shoot my L98A1 it reminds me of the Austin Maxi. And I do mean the Maxi, not the Princess, because the Princess at least contained some innovative features. Laughing

It's so heavy and badly balanced and the trigger pull is appalling. And awkward to reload as well.

Sixshot6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could they end up with a rifle that was so unbalanced. I have the last enfield book hanging around but all the stuff that I skimmed made my mind go "booom", with how much of a screw up it was. No wonder the next rifle will have to come off the shelf.
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoD to procure L85A3 in quantity (That's not a picture of an A3 with the article btw).

So they've bought 5,000 and they want more, basically it's the A2 with a new upper receiver that has really straight rails for the bolt carrier (I know everyone looks down their noses at the quality of manufacture but really has that ever been considered a really big problem?) And they've given it a new forend, which requires cutting down the gas block, put a long 1913 rail on top and painted it brown.

Wow.

Bear in mind there were 380,000 of the original guns manufactured and I think 200,000 were converted to A2 and I doubt a huge number will go to A3, so as far as I can see this is a PR exercise to make it look as though they have got cutting edge equipment - they haven't.

And the Para Minimi is being ditched because apparently soldiers miss with it too much and the Army is buying more L129A1 DMRs. I understand the science but I can't help thinking this is because they're cheaper and use less ammunition.

I suspect when 2025 rolls around the Army will finally ditch the SA80 and replace it with some lightly used ex-Bundeswehr G36s. Laughing Or if that's too expensive, I hear the French have got a big pile of FA MAS rifles they'd be willing to part with. Unfortunately Italy has given their AR 70/90s to Albania so that's not an option.

Sixshot6

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They really haven't thought this through have they? Its painful to watch.
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very bad MoD press release.

Quote:
The Ministry of Defence is upgrading the British Army’s standard combat rifle to ensure troops are equipped with the best possible battle-winning kit

Well that's one way of putting it I suppose. Wasting taxpayer money on another fix instead of finally giving up on the thing would be more accurate.

They don't even mention the main alteration, the new upper receiver with the straightened rails - I assume because this would force them to admit that there's a fault in the manufacture of the rifle that needs to be corrected for the umpteenth time.

cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

44,000 L85A3s to be procured.

£1,700 each! Clearly a bargain. Shocked

Bearing in mind that is significantly more than the price of a brand new Diemaco C8 SFW.

It's like a vampire, keeps coming back to life.

Sixshot6

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The firearms blog stated current cost per unit of an M4 is 400 pounds so the C8 which is the same gun near enough is that? What a shambles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Military All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: