Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Police launch gun crime strategy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick F
Certified Gun Nut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Police launch gun crime strategy Reply with quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6086258.stm
Quote:
Police launch gun crime strategy

Criminal gangs often pass guns to one another
A new gun crime strategy in England and Wales has been launched by the Association of Chief Police Officers.
Keith Bristow, chief constable of Warwickshire, revealed plans for a new database on guns used in crimes.

It means detectives will be able to find out if a gun or ammunition was used in an earlier crime within 24 hours rather than waiting weeks.

The National Ballistics Intelligence Programme will be run from centres in London, Birmingham and Manchester.

Officers will be able to submit recovered guns, shells or bullets to the units, which will then use forensic techniques to match them to earlier crimes.

Firearms used by criminals are very mobile

Dr Bob Golding

Dr Bob Golding, programme manager for the £5m unit, said officers would have access to vital information much more quickly.

"Firearms used by criminals are very mobile, they are passed between gangs and perpetrators.

"This is not a local issue, it is a national issue and this is a national solution."

Mr Bristow said there had been a recent fall in gun crime, backed up by Home Office figures which showed it decreased by 8% between June 2005 and June 2006.

Young people shot

He added: "Gun crime is an awful, corrosive problem. [But] the fear of gun crime is disproportionate to the reality."

The announcement follows high profile murders of young people.

Jesse James, 15, was shot three times with a semi-automatic handgun in Manchester and 19-year-old Dean Myles was shot dead outside a Bristol nightclub in September.

We're not an armed police service and my colleagues don't want to be armed

Jan Berry, Police Federation

Jesse, who police believe was killed as a result of mistaken identity, was buried on Tuesday.

Greater Manchester Police described his death as a "watershed moment".

Jan Berry, chairwoman of the Police Federation, told BBC Five Live officers were concerned about what they see as a low numbers of firearms officers.

Ms Berry said: "We're not an armed police service and my colleagues don't want to be armed, but they don't believe we have enough firearms officers.

"We've only got about just over 5% of our officers carry firearms, and with the number of incidents which are involving guns today, I do question whether that's enough."

Social problems

She said a new firearms database, which would allow information to be shared across the country, could be part of the solution.

But she said it was also vital to tackle social issues and work with those who see firearms as a sign of power and esteem.

"Clearly you can't just all the time meet power with power because that does not solve the underlying problems," she said.

"We clearly need to have police officers who are properly armed and able to deal with situations.

"However, behind that you have to have the police service working with the public and with the communities and for us to build a greater trust between the communities and the police."

Police are also reportedly considering creating a special unit to focus on the most dangerous gun criminals in the country.

NeilMac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'd never have thought of that...

Quote:
Keith Bristow, chief constable of Warwickshire, revealed plans for a new database on guns used in crimes.

If NFLMS is anything to go by this should start to make a real difference by 2017.

Best wishes,

Neil Mac'
CS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: National Firearms Forensic Intelligence Database (NFFID) Reply with quote

Is the National Ballistics Intelligence Programme different to:-

25/11/2003 http://www.forensic.gov.uk/forensic_t/inside/news/list_press_release.php?case=17&y=2003

Press Releases
New firearms database is launched in fight against gun crime

The fight to tackle gun crime by police forces in England and Wales gets a boost today as the National Firearms Forensic Intelligence Database (NFFID) goes fully operational.

Launched by Home Office Minister Caroline Flint, NFFID has been set up by The Forensic Science Service® (FSS®) in partnership with the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO), to build a better picture of the criminal use of firearms.

As well as providing strategic intelligence, by using state-of-the-art technology, NFFID will also be able to speed up the process of linking crimes together and guns to crime more efficiently with an automated comparison system of items such as cartridges using information now held in one central point.

FSS chief executive Dave Werrett said:

“Previously we were unable to undertake anything more than a local comparison which took several days, now we are able to carry out a national check in a matter of hours.

Alan Green, ACPO spokesman on criminal use of firearms, and Deputy Chief Constable of Greater Manchester, said:

“This presents a massive opportunity for the police service to fill the gaps in intelligence which have for too long obstructed meaningful criminal investigations against criminals who use firearms to terrorise our communities.

“The use of NFFID will be essential and the true test of co-operative policing effort will be for it to be fully utilised by all law enforcement agencies across the UK. I pay tribute to those who have worked so hard to bring the implementation of NFFID to fruition.”

Welcoming the launch of NFFID, Home Office Minister Caroline Flint said:

"The new National Forensic Firearms Intelligence Database will be an invaluable tool for the police. Using cutting edge technology, it will help to bring more of the criminals who bring fear to our communities to justice."

Notes for editors:

1. The Home Office has provided funding of £1.1m to set NFFID up. The Home Office has also made provision for police forces to receive up to half a million pounds of additional funding to cover the extra costs that may be incurred by forces due to additional submissions.
Mick F
Certified Gun Nut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: National Firearms Forensic Intelligence Database (NFFID) Reply with quote

CS wrote:
Is the National Ballistics Intelligence Programme different to:-
25/11/2003 http://www.forensic.gov.uk/forensic_t/inside/news/list_press_release.php?case=17&y=2003

Info feeds from NFFID to NBIP
cheers
Mick Fidgeon:-)
Mick F
Certified Gun Nut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeilMac wrote:
Quote:

I'd never have thought of that...

Clairvoyance is wonderful. I suppose you know all about criminal gangs then? Where they get their guns from and who they pass them on to?
NeilMac wrote:
Quote:

If NFLMS is anything to go by this should start to make a real difference by 2017.
Best wishes,
Neil Mac'

And you're also an expert on NFLMS? I suppose you could tell me how the info from NFLMS feeds into NBIP then?
Cheers
Mick Fidgeon:-)
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFFID, NFLMS, NBIP, NCIS... hmm... okay Mick, over to you... this is clearly a job for a bureaucrat. Wink

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
NeilMac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Clairvoyance is wonderful. I suppose you know all about criminal gangs then? Where they get their guns from and who they pass them on to?

Well if you know all about it why don't you do something?

Best wishes,

Neil Mac'
NeilMac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And you're also an expert on NFLMS? I suppose you could tell me how the info from NFLMS feeds into NBIP then?

Is there an expert on NFLMS? How long has it taken to implement? Even now it doesn't work if you want more than a certain number of rounds or if you haven't declared a place where you want to use your shotgun - not that there's any such requirement in law. So if the useless tossers who came up with NFLMS can't make a system where all the information is provided work how can we be expected to have confidence that they can create a database where the data is fragmentory?

"The suspect refused to say how many shots he fired in the post office so we were unable to complete an entry in the, err, database Sarge'."

Best wishes,

Neil Mac'
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's pretty standard New Labour practice to announce the same story several times. They are essentially **** merchants who are completely out of their depth when it comes to actually managing any of the projects they announce with great fanfare.
NeilMac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think it's pretty standard New Labour practice to announce the same story several times. They are essentially **** merchants who are completely out of their depth when it comes to actually managing any of the projects they announce with great fanfare.

Labour's ten year transport plan - year nine.

Best wishes,

Neil Mac'
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob wrote:

Actually I think that's the dictionary definition of a: "politician".

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
Carrot Cruncher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeilMac wrote:
Even now it doesn't work if you want more than a certain number of rounds

We've done that one . . . . but

NeilMac wrote:
or if you haven't declared a place where you want to use your shotgun - not that there's any such requirement in law.

. . . . what's all that about ? News to me. Do tell.
NeilMac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrot Cruncher wrote:
NeilMac wrote:
Even now it doesn't work if you want more than a certain number of rounds

We've done that one . . . . but

NeilMac wrote:
or if you haven't declared a place where you want to use your shotgun - not that there's any such requirement in law.

. . . . what's all that about ? News to me. Do tell.

From Shooting Times 26 October 2006. Issue 5,485

Quote:
Editor's Letter:

My local police force is one of the chosen few that are participating in the pilot for the national firearms database. I discovered this during a recent visit from the firearms officer to discuss my shotgun certificate renewal. He was enthusiastic about the scheme and keen to tell me about it, expecting it to be extended countrywide some time in the near future.

The implementation of this database has suffered numerous delays over the past 10 years, so I'm not holding my breath, though it did sound as though it might at last be happening - watch this space. Undoubtedly there will be some teething problems - as there already are. For example, I was asked where I intended to go shooting. There isn't a legal requirement for me to tell him, but if I didn't he wouldn't have been able to add me to the database, since there is no option to leave that field blank.

continues...

I've re-typed that as it's not available online.

No ST, no comment!

Best wishes,

Neil Mac'
Carrot Cruncher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Neil. I find this most unsettling. Maybe it's a case where an FEO is using NFLMS as an excuse to obtain more information. Any idea of the letter writer's location ? Maybe Scotland ? ? ? ? ? ?
NeilMac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The letter is from the editor, Camilla Clark. I recall she's in Home Counties somewhere. Certainly the editorial office is in central London so she must be somewhere in that neck of the woods - maybe Essex even?

Best Wishes,

Neil Mac'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Crime All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: