Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mystery 2Pr.shell cases

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Gun and Ammunition Collecting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeilMac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Mystery 2Pr.shell cases Reply with quote

Any gunners out there?

I have in my possession two fired brass cases that I have been unable to identify.The best I've managed is to determine is what I think they are not!
The cases are similar although the various reloading stamps differ.
The cases are of about 1 1/2" / 40mm calibre, rimmed and approximately 4.25" in height. The case is fairly straight walled although there is a slight taper and shoulder at the neck. Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera at hand.

Both are marked:
2Pr. SUB-CAL. H.A. Mk. II Gun. I.
One case has this overstamped with: 2Pr I M.D.Co.
The other case has what I take to be a date: 1916

The Primer inserts both have two reloading stamps dating to 1926, eg: RL 7/26 RL2/26

There is the usual rash of inspection, reloading stamps, broad arrows etc.

I am quite at a loss as to what these rounds were fired in as they appear to be too early to be the 2Pr Anti-tank gun but too small to be the 2pr Anti aircraft gun. Could they have been used with a chamber insert in the AA gun? Of course this wouldn't be a true "sub-calibre" device but military designations aren't always correct. Alternatively were they part of a Morris tube type Sub-calibre training device for a heavier artillery piece?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Best Wishes,

Neil Mac'
Carrot Cruncher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your description, I would say that they are probably naval saluting cartridges. An adapter was fitted inside the breech of a main battery gun to allow a smaller saluting blank to be fired. 40mm/1.5-2 inch is pretty standard. They were (are) normally loaded with black powder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Gun and Ammunition Collecting All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: