Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

its not always about the shot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Field Sports and Pest Control
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spyr0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: its not always about the shot Reply with quote

Thought I would share this with anyone who did a bit of stalking.

Couple of weeks ago I came across a spiker rubbing velvet and grazing 50m away. Slowly laid prone and observed through my scope as it continued its ritual. The wind was perfect.
This is a 2500 acre forest we are talking about...it had probably never seen a human, I was prone and hidden behind the scope.
It looked in my direction a few times but never appeared spooked. I waited for the big stag to make an appearance but it never did (this is probably just a rut thing when the biggies push out the followers - just to test that all is clear). It mooched its way down the ride towards me.
20m away with its rear to me, I picked up a stone and lobbed it, spiker jumps in the air, not a sound, moves to other side of the ride. 10 minutes later I thought it had moved off. I made a noise as I got to my elbows....

10 feet to my left was the spiker, it saw me, and "BOW!!" it gives 2 bounds and stops.

FFS it starts grazing again!!. This is a Sika....unbelievable!

Im now on my elbows, covered in ticks, pins and needles - no sign of anything bigger - I make a move to get up.

BOW!! BOW!! and its gone.

Apart from the ticks this was a most excellent 20 minutes.
Had the opportunity arisen to take a bigger stag then I would have, but as it was, it seemed appropriate to let him continue in the hope I would see him later.
Manager will probably bollock me for not taking it but.....hey ho!

Cheers
Nick
NeilMac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great day out. I once had a similar experience sneaking up on a wallaby. When it saw us it just froze. We stood for several minutes before moving at which point it took a couple of bounds and completely vanished!

Odd thing was this was in Staffordshire!

I think they've died out now, this was in 1985
spyr0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers - it was a superb day.
strange place....... staffs Wink

anyone interested in buying a forest suit - size large http://www.arcticoutdoor.co.uk/jj_pro_uk/bonus_package/forest.htm

where has craggy gone?

Cheers
Nick
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere without foxes outside the EU. Laughing

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
spyr0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cybershooters wrote:
Somewhere without foxes outside the EU. Laughing

you mean he has taken the wifes sheep aswell? Shocked

Razz
craggy_steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not taking sheep, and not going far!

IoM is outside the UK and EU, so that's where we're going. Have accepted an offer on this place, and had an offer accepted on house in IoM, so should be out mid June latest. Could be earlier but don't want to move in during the TT, gets a bit busy!

No sheep and no rolling acres = no need for guns, so just a reminder that I have some nice ones up for sale in the for sale forums. If I apply for a FAC over there it will just be for pistol shooting, but I'm not convinced, I seem to spend all my free time on the boat and I'm definitely taking that with me! I might return to pistol shooting as a winter sport though.

Sounds like a fantastic day you had Nick, some days here I could take two or three Roe in my wood while walking the dogs, they seem remarkably undisturbed by us, they will certainly let us get up to 50 yards from them before discretely moving off and the dogs are so old they know better than to give chase anymore. One of the things I will miss most is observing them, no deer on IoM either.

Cheers,

Steve
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, there are only two or three pistol ranges on the Isle of Man, I'm not sure if they ever re-opened the indoor range under the hall near the harbour after it was flooded. The other two are outdoors...

...rather you than me. Razz It's especially fun when the cloud is so low you can't see where you're going.

They were talking about building a proper full-bore rifle range, not sure how far they got with it.

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
craggy_steve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple of pistol ranges iirc, and 50M ISSF small-bore and clays. But then it only take 40 minutes to get from one end of the island to the other, so nowhere is far away - it would take me longer to drive into Leeds or Manchester and I'm half-way between the two!

Yes, will get wet, but have never really enjoyed shooting fullbore indoors, noise and ventilation have always taken the edge off it. Having said that, never shot in one of the big purpose-built ranges on the continent - suspect that some of those are very comfortable.

It was intermittently misty on IoM last weekend, but living here (high in the Pennines) has got me used to it - it's common for me to look out of my study window and see nothing but the inside of the clouds. Not good for shooting tho', on such days the foxes could do what they like because I couldn't see them at 15 yards!
spyr0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, Hope all goes well for you.
You planning on taking punters on basking shark tours with your boat Laughing
Diving friend of mine lives and works in Douglas - always vacates at TT time.
Cheers
Nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Field Sports and Pest Control All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: