Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elk hunt
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Field Sports and Pest Control
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oddbod

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Elk hunt Reply with quote

Three weeks to go until my second trip to Colorado after one o' them ginormous red deer things our Cousins call elk.
I'm heading for the same hunting unit as last year - 9,000 feet up in the Rockies - & preliminary reports are that the rut hasn't yet started, so chances are looking good.
Due to a late spring frost & drought conditions, the black bears are also concentrating in these "lower" altitudes, so I'm seriously thinking about getting a bear tag too..

The altitude has a HUGE effect on physical exertion & the terrain also; a mixture of aspen & pines on the "flatter" ground & oak scrub on the steeper slopes. The oak scrub is like a hillside-covering hawthorn thicket, criss-crossed with game trails & home to the black bears.

The guys I'm going with & myself will all be using rifles chambered in .300WSM & loaded with 168gr Barnes TSX bullets, as shots can be at anything from 50yds to over 600!
Due to the possibility of meeting "Bruin" in some of the close cover, we'll be hunting in pairs & I'm being loaned a 1911 for that "Oh sh** moment.

I came close to missing out this year due to the scrapping of the UK "License to Kill Game" a week before I could buy my US elk tag, as this was accepted in lieu of a Hunter Education card in the past.
Fortunately the Colorado Department of Wildlife bent over backwards to help & a last minute fax of my 2006/7 license was accepted. They also gave me permanent verification based on prior State hunting license purchases. Very Happy

One thing our American brethren believe in is comfort & this trip is no exception. Our "humble abode" this year is one of these:

http://keystone-sydney.com/?page=31RQS

Imagine dragging it up some of the rougher Forestry Commission roads over here - that's what we'll be doing. Shocked
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise they accepted a game licence. Hmm. Some States have exemptions for aliens. I thought about doing the NRA hunter ed course.

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
Oddbod

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cybershooters wrote:
I didn't realise they accepted a game licence. Hmm. Some States have exemptions for aliens. I thought about doing the NRA hunter ed course.

Aye, Colorado has the "alien exemption" clause but still require some proof of competence.
Back when I first went hunting there, they asked for my UK game license, so I faxed it to them.
I saw no reason to mention how one actually acquired such an item.... Mr. Green
steven latham

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Hunter education certs? Reply with quote

Hi, I'll keep this short as it's diverging slowly, How do our buddies over there view our Deer stalkers/ Trained hunter status, in relation to their competency schemes?Steve. Surprised
Oddbod

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunter education certs? Reply with quote

steven latham wrote:
Hi, I'll keep this short as it's diverging slowly, How do our buddies over there view our Deer stalkers/ Trained hunter status, in relation to their competency schemes?Steve. Surprised

I've never asked.
From what I've seen & studied, their Hunter Education courses appear to be more comprehensive than anything here, covering every method of hunting.
They are VERY big on safety - in most States it is mandatory to wear a certain amount Blaze Orange, including headwear.
I might do the practical part of the New Mexico course next year, as I took the theory part earlier this year
Oddbod

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cybershooters wrote:

Here's a list of States & their requirements, including Canada:

http://homestudy.ihea.com/abouthed/06requirements.htm

The IHEA course is one of those available in several States & some of them accept the online version as a partial credit.
Oddbod

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my bags are packed & the rest of my stuff awaits me in New Mexico.

Two of my friends on t' other side of the Pond are hunting the same GMU this weekend, so we should know what conditions are like beforehand.

I've a good feeling about this trip - if I blank, then it's my own dumb fault. Very Happy
NeilMac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it goes well!
Oddbod

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do I. Very Happy

I'll post a link to some photo's when I get back.

If I bag an elk, then next year I might take up an invitation to go feral hog hunting in Texas - with handguns. Cool
NeilMac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddbod wrote:
So do I. Very Happy

I'll post a link to some photo's when I get back.

If I bag an elk, then next year I might take up an invitation to go feral hog hunting in Texas - with handguns. Cool

If you do, don't forget to take a rifle for the coup de grace.....
Oddbod

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I arrived back this morning & sad to say I failed to get my elk.

Hunting conditions were "difficult" to say the least: We were at 9,000'+ & there was NO SNOW whatsoever. Temperatures were over 65 during the day & barely dropped below freezing at night. Combine this with a near full Moon & the elk were happily feeding at night & lying up during daylight.

I had one chance on the last day at 375 yds but when the elk we spotted in the oak scrub lifted its head, it was a bleedin' bull & we had cow tags....
Despite this, two of the party filled their tags; both with single shots but at opposite ends of the range: One at 723yds with a 150gr Barnes TSX out of a .300RUM & the other at 42yds with a 110gr TSX out of an LWRC AR15 in 6.8SPC (magazine restricted to 5 rds).
Both were through & through shots, with an impressive amount of tissue disruption being done by the TSX.

To make up for this, I had three solid days shooting handguns & EBRs, including the FAL/L1A1, AR15, Sig 556 & another AR15A2 fitted with a Ciener .22LR conversion - loadsa fun & cheap to shoot. Very Happy

Ammunition prices make me want to weep at what we pay here - I bought 1,000 9mm Luger for $156 & 500 .45ACP for $130. Prices have risen rapidly over there but more for military rifle cartridges due to the drying up of surplus supplies. Fortunately I stocked up on 7.62x51 last year when South African surplus was $220 a 1260 round case. Cool

Roll on May 19th when I fly back out.
NeilMac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddbod wrote:
Well I arrived back this morning & sad to say I failed to get my elk.

Hunting conditions were "difficult" to say the least: We were at 9,000'+ & there was NO SNOW whatsoever. Temperatures were over 65 during the day & barely dropped below freezing at night. Combine this with a near full Moon & the elk were happily feeding at night & lying up during daylight.

I had one chance on the last day at 375 yds but when the elk we spotted in the oak scrub lifted its head, it was a bleedin' bull & we had cow tags....
Despite this, two of the party filled their tags; both with single shots but at opposite ends of the range: One at 723yds with a 150gr Barnes TSX out of a .300RUM & the other at 42yds with a 110gr TSX out of an LWRC AR15 in 6.8SPC (magazine restricted to 5 rds).
Both were through & through shots, with an impressive amount of tissue disruption being done by the TSX.

To make up for this, I had three solid days shooting handguns & EBRs, including the FAL/L1A1, AR15, Sig 556 & another AR15A2 fitted with a Ciener .22LR conversion - loadsa fun & cheap to shoot. Very Happy

Ammunition prices make me want to weep at what we pay here - I bought 1,000 9mm Luger for $156 & 500 .45ACP for $130. Prices have risen rapidly over there but more for military rifle cartridges due to the drying up of surplus supplies. Fortunately I stocked up on 7.62x51 last year when South African surplus was $220 a 1260 round case. Cool

Roll on May 19th when I fly back out.

723 yards hey? Why not just call in an airstrike? It's not stalking!
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddbod wrote:
AR15A2 fitted with a Ciener .22LR conversion

I know someone who's got one. Very Happy

Oddbod

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cybershooters wrote:
Oddbod wrote:
AR15A2 fitted with a Ciener .22LR conversion

I know someone who's got one. Very Happy

Over here & semi-auto?

Tell me more...
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy a section 1 AR-15 and put a Ciener kit in it. They're both section 1. Or get a custom upper that uses the ciener bolt with a 1/16 barrel so it will actually shoot worth a damn, which is what I did.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Field Sports and Pest Control All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: