Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone used 9mm RF or CF shotguns?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Field Sports and Pest Control
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonathanL
Certified Gun Nut

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Anyone used 9mm RF or CF shotguns? Reply with quote

Need a little shotgun to kill a rat that's taken a fancy to my compost heap in the garden. .22 RF is a tad small I think and .410 isn't that quiet.

Anyone ever used the 9mm RF or CF rounds before? Are they appreciably less noisy than a .410? Moreover, where can you get them? The ammo I mean.

J.
JonathanL
Certified Gun Nut

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look what I just found - how cool is this? Sounds very quiet and you can get em for about 50.

http://ma-tvideo.france2.fr/video/iLyROoaftgef.html

Even better. Bernadelli do, or did, a semi-auto one with removable box mag which appears to look a bit like a miniature Browing BAR!

J.
SteveP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an Anschutz 9MM rimfire garden gun for mice and they do the job nicely. Cant swear to how they will perform on rats but I am sure that if you use them within 10 yards they will stop one. As for noise, they are still quite a pop but nothing like a 12g. My family dont hear them unless the door is open.

Availability of the cartridges is OK. Just Cartridges (http://www.justcartridges.com/) sell them but their postage is a bit steep unless you also get a 1000 12g with them and negotiate for the little ones on top (or live near Oxford).

And the video looks like it is the 9MM Anschutz

Steve
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanL wrote:
Even better. Bernadelli do, or did, a semi-auto one with removable box mag which appears to look a bit like a miniature Browing BAR!

J.

Section 1 though.

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
NeilMac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd been wondering about a 9mm garden (shot)gun for squirrels...

Any thoughts?
SteveP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrels are tough little critters as anyone who has shot them with a 12g or even a 22RF will know. I dont think the 9MM sg would kill them cleanly if at all

Steve
NeilMac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveP wrote:
Squirrels are tough little critters as anyone who has shot them with a 12g or even a 22RF will know. I dont think the 9MM sg would kill them cleanly if at all

Steve

Yes, thinking back you may well be right.
Richard Loweth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little late but I've only just seen the thread! I had one of the Bernadelli guns on s1 many years ago. It came usually with a three shot magazine but you could also buy a four shot magazine.

It fired from a simple blowback bolt and for that reason it usually got left in the gun cabinet and the 9mm Webley bolt action got used!

In reality it was most unpleasant to use as all sorts of "****" and "crap" used to follow the ejected case out of the gun within close proximity of ones cheek and eye.

I sold it!

The problem with cartridges for these weapons is that in UK the 9mm was loaded with 7 1/2 size shot. So the pattern was rubbish! Far better for rats to have been loaded with 12 size shot or at the very least 9 size shot.

My advice, FWIW, would be to buy a cheap loading outfit and bespoke load reduced load .410 catridges with a very little powder and with size 9 shot.

If you do it right the powder will be all burnt within a matter of inches - before the wad has left the barrel, and this will give a reduced report and also less collateral damage to the fabric of any building around the rat.

BUT!! The shot may also richochet back if velocity is low so wear safety goggles! Probably the best "ratting" tool where building damage is not an issue would be a Remington 1100 in .410. These being designed for "SKEET" loads...so ideal!

Or as above but with a .410/12 Bore "adapter" in your usual shotgun.
JonathanL
Certified Gun Nut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a little bolt action gun, Manuarm, I think, and a local gun shop had the ammo in.

Not very loud at all - you can easily shoot it indoors with no hearing protection - and it has very limited range so is ideal for gardens, lofts, barns and the like. I think they are preferable to an air rifle for restricted areas as shot from them is far less likely to riccochet off somewhere and even if it does end up somewhere you didn't intend it's a lot less likely to do much damage past about 20 yards or so.

Ammo is RWS and was 10.50/50 and is No10 shot. Pattern size increases rapidly past about 15 yards and it won't penetrate a cardboard target backing at 25 yards.

Will do some pics of the pattern at different distances by the weekend if anyone's interested.
Emma15

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted. Spambot.
Sixshot6

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: In South Yorkshire Reply with quote

There is no club approval process for clay clubs per se, that's only for "rifle and muzzle-loading pistol" clubs, hence all the complications with anyone who wants to take up practical shotgun or use an LBR as there's no legal way for them to try it out as club approval only applies to rifles and muzzle-loading pistols............
____

Things are different. South Yorkshire gave a verbal ok to Thurnscoe rifle club to let members with FAC's try out LBR/LBP's and section 1 shotguns (even if they didn't have a slot).

Its about mentality I believe.
Double10

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most 9mm Garden Guns disappeared because they typically had barrels about 20 inches long..............
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could actually find one it is legal to lengthen the barrel though (and you can have it on an FAC anyway, I'm sure an FEO would prefer you use that than a .22). Since Jonathan started this thread suppressors have become more common. Anyway he never posted any pictures! Laughing Six years of suspense!

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
JonathanL
Certified Gun Nut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: In South Yorkshire Reply with quote

Sixshot6 wrote:
There is no club approval process for clay clubs per se, that's only for "rifle and muzzle-loading pistol" clubs, hence all the complications with anyone who wants to take up practical shotgun or use an LBR as there's no legal way for them to try it out as club approval only applies to rifles and muzzle-loading pistols............
____

Things are different. South Yorkshire gave a verbal ok to Thurnscoe rifle club to let members with FAC's try out LBR/LBP's and section 1 shotguns (even if they didn't have a slot).

Its about mentality I believe.

You can do practical without a SGC if the ground has the police authorisation for shooting at artifical targets with shotguns - 11(6)? You can't borrow a section 1 shotgun though to do it though. Also the section 11(5) expemption would apply if the occupier is present and it's his gun you are borrowing.

This business of the police 'OK-ing' the sort of thing you refer to in relation to LBP's/LBR's is one of those things which is fine until the wheel comes off. Those out there who are familliar with my regular ramblings on here and other places will already be able to quote my time-worn script.

It is illegal. The police 'allowing' it does not make it legal. Just like they can't make your possession of your firearms legal after your cert expires and they haven't renewed it on time so have told you that 'you got your renewal in in good time - it's fine'. It isn't fine, its illegal.

Now, it is incredibly unlikely that the police are going to visit your club and prosecute someone who is using an LBR that they don't have an FAC for - but they could. It could also result in the club havng its approval pulled by the Home Office. Also, if someone is doing this then they are not covered by the club insurance as that only applies to useage of guns which are covered by the club approval.

The way to do it is to have the club provide the funds to purchase the gun and have it entered onto the FAC of each individual member.

J.
JonathanL
Certified Gun Nut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cybershooters wrote:
If you could actually find one it is legal to lengthen the barrel though (and you can have it on an FAC anyway, I'm sure an FEO would prefer you use that than a .22). Since Jonathan started this thread suppressors have become more common. Anyway he never posted any pictures! Laughing Six years of suspense!

Haha - very remiss of me. I think I actually did some as well. I'll have to try and remember where I filed them.

J.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Field Sports and Pest Control All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: