Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ore. man recalls terrifying bear attack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Field Sports and Pest Control
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gkbiv

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Ore. man recalls terrifying bear attack Reply with quote

From: http://www.katu.com/news/local/19852239.html . I would have chosen a revolver, less shots but they are all likely to go off. He fired four times before he lost his magazine. It doesn'r say which .45 caliber pistol he was using but I believe it is a .45 ACP since it is the most popular.
George in Las Vegas
NeilMac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ore. man recalls terrifying bear attack Reply with quote

gkbiv wrote:
From: http://www.katu.com/news/local/19852239.html . I would have chosen a revolver, less shots but they are all likely to go off. He fired four times before he lost his magazine. It doesn'r say which .45 caliber pistol he was using but I believe it is a .45 ACP since it is the most popular.
George in Las Vegas

If I was heading off after a wounded bear I would choose something rather more powerful than a revolver!

I think 45-70 would be enough. If I did have a pistol on my belt I think 454 Casull would be the only option worth carrying. 45ACP against a bear is plain stupidity.
gkbiv

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ore. man recalls terrifying bear attack Reply with quote

>If I was heading off after a wounded bear I would choose something >rather more powerful than a revolver!

I would take my .45 Colt with the 300 grain Hornady XTP loaded to the Ruger/Contender pressures. I don't recall the numbers but it is in .44 magnum power range. Actually it might perform better than the .44 with a similar bullet weight. I do recall from the article the first shot didn't have any affect. The more I think about it I wonder why, it should have been a fight stopper.
George in Las Vegas
NeilMac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ore. man recalls terrifying bear attack Reply with quote

gkbiv wrote:
>If I was heading off after a wounded bear I would choose something >rather more powerful than a revolver!

I would take my .45 Colt with the 300 grain Hornady XTP loaded to the Ruger/Contender pressures. I don't recall the numbers but it is in .44 magnum power range. Actually it might perform better than the .44 with a similar bullet weight. I do recall from the article the first shot didn't have any affect. The more I think about it I wonder why, it should have been a fight stopper.
George in Las Vegas

Perhaps the bear hadn't been reading the latest ballistics articles! Wink
gkbiv

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ore. man recalls terrifying bear attack Reply with quote

[quote Perhaps the bear hadn't been reading the latest ballistics articles! ;)[/quote]

Well I wouldn't want to teach one to read but the bullet probably missed everything that would cause an immidiate death. I am sure it would have taken out the spine if it was hit.
George in Las Vegas
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't say what kind of bear it was.

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
gkbiv

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Ore. man recalls terrifying bear attack Reply with quote

Doesn't say what kind of bear it was.

I expect it to be a Black Bear, it seems they make it as far south as Washinton on the coast. You have to go farther inland to find them farther south.
George in Las Vegas
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the saying is that if you get attacked by a Grizzly, you're unlucky, if you get attacked by a black bear, you've done something dumb.

Shooting it and then tracking it down, then dropping a mag and only being able to shoot it once with a .45 make it sound like they did something dumb...

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Field Sports and Pest Control All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: