Cybershooters Forum Index Cybershooters
The internet's leading source of information for shooters

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Japanese Deactivated Guns Company?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Gun and Ammunition Collecting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fullmetaljacket

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Japanese Deactivated Guns Company? Reply with quote

Hey All,

My first post here, I've been collection deactivated guns for a while now, and I am mostly interested in modern or post WW2 rifles and pistols. However, after years of trawling the web I have found this company based in Japan - Chicago Regimentals. I won't post the link to the site as I might get a telling off.

Anyway, they seem to have the most amazing range of modern assault rifles - including essentially old spec HK G36 rifles, even a HK UMP in 9mm. Great Beard of Zeus! They seem to have actions that work, strippable blah blah blah

My question is... can these be bought and brought legally into the UK. I'm thinking no! But maybe someone has done this legally in the past. Does the UK recognise Japanese Deact Specs? And if you could actually get around the paperwork, would it need to be welded solid?... plus ... I guess it would be affected by the ban at the end of 08 anyway...

I'm talking myself out of this idea! I'm just curious, most of these items are way out off my price range anyway.

All the best,

FMJ
cybershooters
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cybershooters.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=16

It's still a bit of a grey area because there is no case law on it, however the Home Office are taking the view that section 38 of the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 only excludes UK-spec deactivated firearms from the ban on "realistic imitation firearms", therefore import of a deactivated firearm done to a foreign spec would be illegal. Whether or not you can convince a court otherwise I'm not sure, but HMRC will use the Home Office guidance and it will be seized.

Even before the 2006 Act it was a very grey area as courts have sometimes taken the view that any deac not inspected under section 8 of the 1988 Act are not de-activated anyway. Basically it boils down to whether the FSS can remove any major bits from it that are still in working order (even marginally), to which the answer is usually "yes". A flash hider is a controlled component under section 57 of the 1968 Act, there was a Court of Appeals ruling recently that held that removed from a deac it was a component part in its own right.

This ban the Home Secretary is blathering on about will only ban the sale of pre-95 spec deacs in Great Britain.

Only three things are certain: death, taxes and stupid gun laws.
fullmetaljacket

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Cybershooters! I kinda thought this might be the case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cybershooters Forum Index -> Gun and Ammunition Collecting All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: